Today's Media | Teen Ink

Today's Media

February 3, 2009
By PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
105 articles 5 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!


I don't think that there's been a day where I've gone on You Tube and wasn't offended by something. I haven't turned on the TV to age-appropriate material in ages. I don't think I've ever listened through an entire song because they always talk about drugs, sex, money, etc. I'm even disgusted with books, which I used to love when they were appropriate. It drives me insane. Sometimes, I think I'm the only moral teenager around anymore, fighting the change from becoming someone else that I don't want to be. But why are the other youth of America the exact opposite of me? Am I a freak?

I don't know today's celebrities. I haven no clue of today's music artists. I get weird looks when I say that I never turn the TV on or use You Tube. But there are good reasons for this. I don't want to be corrupted- because what you listen to is eventually what you live out. I definitely don't want to live the kind of life portrayed in these songs- I don't want them to become my life. I like mine the way it is. You could say that I'm over-conservative, but no one put these ideas in my heads- nobody influenced them. It's just something that I've come to realize and something I've come to hold on to, something that makes me different.

I do listen to music and play music- classical and Christian hymns or Christian rock. But once I try to cross those lines I drew, I have to withdraw back into my self-created bubble of protection. People know I'm different and I tell them why- I'm a Christian and I'm not corrupted. At school, people tell dirty jokes and I'm the only one not laughing. I'm known for having 'an innocent mind.' But what do I do to make that happen? It doesn't come easily- but I just control one thing- the media I watch. What you see is what you think about, and so is what you hear. You can't just 'see the good parts' and overlook the bad- it's like intermingling trash with your food and still eating it. It just isn't done.

It's frustrating to think that I'm the only one that bothers to be so cautious. But no one's going to listen to me if it's just one person. I need help. If we don't change things, soon the youth of America will be entirely corrupted- and corrupt our country in the next generations to come.

Please.

Don't let this be America's future.

The author's comments:
I'm not sure I explained this well, but I want other people to realize how serious this is.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 37 comments.


on Jun. 26 2009 at 11:39 pm
Chris Ehring BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I thinks it's pretty well written, but I dont agree. Born and raised Roman Catholic, I know whats right and wrong. I listen to music that sometimes involve themse like sex and drugs, but does that mean im going to be sexually indiscriminate and a druggie? I have my own ideas too, such as supporting gay rights and a womans right to choose. But does that mean I got those ideas from television and the media? No, I got them from life experiences.

on May. 7 2009 at 3:35 am
13silentwishes BRONZE, Aurora, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments
ehhh... ok, so what your saying is that i am a corrupt, uncaring, disgusting peice of filth because i watch tv and go on YouTube? thanks. but seriously? i am Roman Catholic, born and raised and i go to church every sunday. i also go on youtube, watch tv, and hava facebook account. youtube does have some bad stuff, doesn't mean everyone who goes on it is a bad person; it is a great resource tool- i've used it to look up documentaries for school projects and new music that i otherwise wouldn't have found. i watch shows on tv like 24 and NCIS, disturbing to some, but i take away the educational parts of these shows.

america's youth are not corrupt soely on the media's fault, the fault also lies on the parents of the spoiled, fat kids who think the world revolves around them....

but that's just me, and i'm just the devil... that goes to church and... yeah, whatever.

=) very nice article though, if you're up for a debate.

on May. 4 2009 at 11:08 pm
I'm not sure I agree as much. I do agree that there are inappropriate things on YouTube, but I also have my own videos on the site, and know others who do to, and I find that it is a very useful site. Having a site with nothing to do with sex, drugs, or violence is pretty much unheard of anymore, and I know that it's not a great way to think of things, but it won't change. I do however think that you are missing out on alot if you feel that most of Youtube is inappropriate. Most of what is on there is nothing compared to what you hear in the average high school. Just my opinion though [:

on May. 4 2009 at 7:59 pm
I agree with you some what. I am always offended by something on youtube and your right it is hard to find things on T.V. that are age appropriate. But I honestly think thay there is some over dramatizing here. I am pretty sure that everytimg you see/here something on the T.V/Radio that isn't all that approprate that you automatically turn it off.

on May. 4 2009 at 12:27 am
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 353 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

oh my gosh! thank you so much! i have been wondering the same thing myself! thank you for helping me realize that i can keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

IRBFGW DIAMOND said...
on May. 1 2009 at 9:44 pm
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio
53 articles 1 photo 223 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

I agree, todays media is pretty offensive. But don't worry, you are not the only person who thinks like this. Lots of people just feel pressure to fit in and pretend to like these things. But... that doesn't mean everything that isn't 100% appropreate is bad. Some things you just gotta laugh at there ignorance. Thats what I do.



P.S. Not all music these days is about sex and drugs and whatnot. you just gotta look harder. try plain white t's, simple plan, flyleaf.

aamber said...
on May. 1 2009 at 7:18 pm
Not everything in this world is bad.

It's actually quite easy to find good/age appropriate books, music. etc. if you just look.

on Apr. 29 2009 at 4:34 pm
ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
10 articles 0 photos 107 comments
I agree that being a christian is no escape from reality. And that the media has only gotten worse, but I guess that's why there are alternatives. I'm pretty much culture innepted because it's so hard to find something good.

fisherj BRONZE said...
on Apr. 25 2009 at 3:17 am
fisherj BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments
In the grand progression of history, that which is now viewed as acceptable and appropriate was often once radical and vulgar. While you may view many aspects of today's pop culture to lack taste, I hate to break it to you, but I highly doubt there will be another 'Great Awakening' to call America back to the days of yore. I am not here to say that everyone need incorporate vulgarity and sexual references into their personal views, I would, however, like to suggest that instead of treating art that uses what you find to be repulsive as automatic trash, you treat the song/painting/essay/book/etc. as a piece of cultural expression and evaluate it holistically, giving due thought to how vulgarities are sometimes the most fitting means of expression (see Ginsberg "Howl"). And to close, realize that some people are just as offended by late-night televangelism as some are by skimpy outfits and profanity.

on Apr. 14 2009 at 10:03 pm
Vexa_Rave SILVER, Mt. Clare, West Virginia
9 articles 0 photos 57 comments
i somewhat agree with you and somewhat don't... it does kinda bug me how everything's about sex and drugs, but i've seen some stuff and it doesn't bug me. yes, you CAN overlook the bad because i've done that plenty of times. and i also believe that NO ONE'S ever going to be perfect... no, i don't always laugh at perverted jokes, but i'm still exposed to them. so i agree with you somewhat, but not entirely.

on Mar. 19 2009 at 6:30 pm
Mollie Baker BRONZE, Ipswich, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments
This is very interesting. This is my opinion as a non-religious teen... I don't fully agree with your ideas. I view myself as a pure individual, but I still watch TV and listen to today's music. I do think that some music has too many sex and drug references, but I think that this is a way of expressing people's feelings. Sure, I don't really like it and I usually turn it off, but I'm not going to push myself away from the world. Also, being Christian is no escape from reality and people have to respect that their way isn't the only way.

on Mar. 19 2009 at 4:29 pm
Interesting thoughts, I suppose, but not everyone wants to be like this. I wouldn't say that other teens are intentionally trying to be bad, they just think things are funny, cool, or admirable. Today's media is basically built by teens, so how could it not appeal to them? If you are "corrupted", that does not mean that is the way you are going to live your life. You always have a choice. Who says that they are "bad kids" just because they listen, they view, or they talk about those kinds of things?

on Mar. 13 2009 at 11:17 pm
Morgan4852 GOLD, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I think that you're strong in believing your beliefs and not doing what everyone else is doing. But I also think that you are so naive. There is so much out there and you are so closed off from everything that COULD be ;only if you tried. I think you should be more open minded and accepting. Everyone and everything is corrupted in some way or another. EVERYONE! Even you, maybe not from the media but maybe from something else. don't take this as me being mean. Please. Just an opinion.

randomness said...
on Mar. 13 2009 at 5:42 pm
Honestly you say that you havent had this taught to you. I understand the whole pure. You've probobly had trouble for this. But I'm a lot like you, but soooooooooooooooo different. I have my innocence and my beliefs, but I also am a regular teen who can joke about sex, drugs, and money. I'm still pure, I still blush and react. But I don't push away from my WORLD! YOU say that you want to be different, but in reality YOU are conforming just like us to be different in society. Let's see one thing that totally sent me over the edge was the fact that you said that what we watch, listen to, and read become us. GUESS WHAT?! NOT TRUE, one of my favorite songs by HINDER is GET STONED, and i am not nor do i ever intend to get high! the book thing?! really? I read twilight, let me tell you it makes me want to have sex with a vampire!!! NOT!!!!!!!!! Okay secret life of the american teenager, its about a girl who gets preggers and HATES IT!

be back later!!!

on Feb. 26 2009 at 2:08 am
dymiindprincess8 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
7 articles 0 photos 17 comments
umm well i disagree with almost everything you just said...As people we have options if you dont like whats on t.V dont turn it on,if you dont like whats on youtube dont go to the website,if you dont like what you hear or see in music videos dont look or listen to it.Everyone has the right to expresss themselves and sometimes being too out there in what you do or say is the only way most people will listen.You said that what you listen to is eventually what you live out,Now i listen to rap and watch what you call curruot telvision and have never lived my life according to what i see or hear....only someone whose easliy influenced will try and live out those things.In this world you gotta have a mind of your own and if you feel like youll become easily influenced than maybe your not as strong as you thought you were.Bad t.V is good entertainment,Good entertainment is bad t.V.Just because songs use B this and F that its simply explaining certain things that cant be explained regularly.o and by the way im a christian too...you cant always use that as an excuse.srry :(

on Feb. 25 2009 at 9:14 pm
hootiepippin BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 10 comments
What does it mean, though, to be corrupt? People are aloud to think and say whatever they want. There shouldn't be "taboos" on speaking the truth.

jmc.13 said...
on Feb. 25 2009 at 7:49 pm
jmc.13, Dobbs Ferry, New York
0 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather regret what I did than what I didn't do."

I agree with some of your points-the media is certainly corrupted and dirty. However, being Christian is no escape from this reality and trying to blame people of unpure media because they aren't Christian isn't right either.