Marine Mammals in Captivity | Teen Ink

Marine Mammals in Captivity

November 16, 2015
By Vanessaa BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Vanessaa BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Many marine parks’ main attraction are their performing orcas. Observing such majestic creatures up close as well as seeing them perform has become a major tourist attraction with in the United States. This provides marine parks with the opportunity to create a profitable attraction through the exploitation of orcas. These marine mammals are not built for small confined concrete pools which they are exiled to after being captured and separated from their families in what are often cruel hunts (“Captivity” par. 3). Although these orcas are able to interact with each other, they are unable to communicate which makes these interactions pointless.


Orcas are wild yet highly intelligent animals that “want and need to live in complex social groups,” which is not possible in captivity (“Captivity” par. 2). Captivity limits all of their natural instincts causing them to abnormally behave. Because many orcas are captured young, they are put in artificial pods contributing “to chronic stress, which can depress the immune system and leave captive orcas susceptible to infections they would normally fight off in the wild[,]” adding to their toxic environment (Rose “ A Win-Win Solution..” par. 4). Orcas in captivity have developed many problems due to the lack of proper treatment and expression of their natural instincts causing them to behave in ways that have yet to occur in the wild, as well as developing physical and mental illnesses. Since the orcas in captivity are incompatible, more dominant orcas will bully others “ resulting in lacerations and other wounds, and eventually needing separation from dominant individuals” which in many cases can lead to the death of bullied orcas (Rose “Aberrant Behavior” par. 1). The exploitation of captive orcas does not only cause aggression between each other, but towards their trainers as well. The behaviors observed in captivity are “suggestive of social and psychological development of animals raised in or born in artificial social groups” explaining the many repercussions of keeping orcas in captivity (Rose “Aberrant Behavior” par. 6). Many scientists and marine biologist have provided significant evidence as to why orcas should no longer be kept in captivity. Along with the provided evidence, they have also produced several solutions in removing orcas from captivity. 


It has been proven that marine mammals should not be exhibited in marine parks and aquariums due to the negative repercussions of keeping them in captivity. Many are unaware of the treatment and behaviors of the orcas resulting in the careless financial investment of these companies. There are several alternatives in which one can observe orcas and not interfere with their well being. A viable solution would be for these parks to partner with orca experts around the world in order to create sanctuaries where the captive orcas can be rehabilitated and retired. These “sanctuaries would be sea pens or netted-off bays or coves, in temperate to cold water[,]” offering protection from “constant exposure to a parade of strangers” which is unnatural “for a species whose social groupings are based on family ties and stability.” This will prevent forced cohabitation of incompatible animals as well as preserving families and pods created in captivity (Rose, “ A Win-Win Solution” par. 9). Although this solution will dismiss the need of performance trainers, the orcas will be provided with expert caretakers who will continue to train retired orcas. Visiting a sanctuary opposed to a marine park would be far more educational because you will gain information from marine biologist who have studied orcas for years.


The treatment of captive marine mammals may be viewed as unimportant because it does not impact the everyday life of a person. Although the treatment of these animals may not directly affect us, it can affect our knowledge and understanding of what marine life is like. The way undomesticated animals are treated is a reflection of us and our morals. Because we may not be able to see such a large animals as social or emotional does not justify the inhumane treatment of orcas. Once new ways to learn about animals without removing them from their environment are discovered, they should be taken advantage of. Given the advancement in today's technology, there are ways to expand our knowledge of animals without being in close proximity. Hopefully one day these wrongs will be made just in order to prevent the captivity and emotional torture of animals.

 


Works Cited
“Captivity.” Whales. Whale and Dolphin Conservation, n.d. Web. 1 October 2015.
Rose, Naomi A.“A Win-Win Solution for Captive Orcas and Marine Theme Parks.” CNN. CNN News Source, 28 October 2013. Web. 1 October 2015.
Rose, Naomi A. “Killer Controversy: Why Orcas Should No Longer Be Kept in Captivity.” Humane Society International and The Humane Society of the United States. Washington, D.C. 16pp (2011): PDF File.