A Dream Regained | Teen Ink

A Dream Regained MAG

February 26, 2009
By TayMar GOLD, Copley, Ohio
TayMar GOLD, Copley, Ohio
11 articles 5 photos 18 comments

I was brought up believing I could be anything I wanted to be. So in early November, when my mom said that she couldn’t believe that we’d have a black president, I was taken aback. She said her family and teachers told her the same thing that she told me and my siblings, but she knew deep down that she could never be president.

I was shocked that my intelligent, confident mother didn’t believe all her dreams could come true, but most of all I felt betrayed. This was worse than finding out Santa wasn’t real. Her admission made me doubt my whole life. All this time my family, teachers, and pastors were kidding me? No matter how smart and nice I was, I could never be the leader of the free world because of my dark skin? It’s the 21st century, for goodness’ sake! Was cherishing, believing, and being the dream just talk – just a dream built off another dream?

That one little statement made me look over my whole life in doubt and embarrassment. Of course, Taylor, you can’t be president – you’re black and a girl. What kind of bubble were you living in? Which history classes have you been taking? Well, my bubble popped and the innocence that America had in my childish eyes was dirtied … until November 4, when Barack Obama, a black man, became the country’s 44th president.

And then it all came back to me: my confidence in America and my belief that my childhood philosophies weren’t false. When I catch, believe, and cherish my dreams and work hard to accomplish them, no one can take them away from me. Not a group of racists, politicians, or others not having faith in me. I am worth believing and investing in.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 15 comments.


on May. 25 2012 at 7:22 pm
BekkaGoodwin BRONZE, Haddonfield, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves from others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld

This article is beautifully written and so very inspiring. Thank you for writing this incredible piece of writing! I hope that your dreams come true! :)

TayMar GOLD said...
on Jun. 3 2011 at 12:49 pm
TayMar GOLD, Copley, Ohio
11 articles 5 photos 18 comments
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! Good luck and I wish you sucesss in all of your endeavors!

on May. 26 2011 at 6:08 pm
Jasmine7 BRONZE, Cecil Lake, Other
1 article 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Maya Angelou

if it's not the color that  matters, then why is everyone making a big deal out of it that he IS black. like why do we care? people are happy that a black person has been elected. why not be happy that a decent man was elected? i find it sad that some people voted FOR him just because he was african american, as much as i find it sad that some people didn't for the same reason. if people really wat racial equality, then why do they keep celebrating the fact he is black? it should be no more celebrated thn if he was white.

 


lnvo97 GOLD said...
on Jun. 26 2010 at 11:26 pm
lnvo97 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
15 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 5:44

this is a really good article!!! im not african american, but im asian adn a female. every single time i mention that i want to be someone important in life, everyone always puts me down because im not white and i dontknow much about the "american way", but your essay gave me so much hope and now because of this article i have much more faith in my self. so thank you very much!!!  and have faith with yourself, that is all you need is a little faith and your life will go wonders.

TayMar GOLD said...
on May. 9 2010 at 5:08 pm
TayMar GOLD, Copley, Ohio
11 articles 5 photos 18 comments
I hope so!

on May. 8 2010 at 11:56 am
Dragonslayer5000 GOLD, Boise, Idaho
10 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Resistance is Futile." -- Borg saying in "Star Trek: Next Generation"

Shows America is colorblind. :)

on Oct. 22 2009 at 8:35 am
Jezabel PLATINUM, Ricmond, Virginia
35 articles 0 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
In the end we will not the remeber the words of your enemys, but the silence of are friends.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

i love this article. im white, but am an imagrant, the rest of the world has elected woman, such as canada and england. your mother most likely wished what she said to you growning up was true. but today, today it is

EmmaGee15 said...
on Jul. 31 2009 at 1:50 am
Hey, i think this is a great thing. I am not african american, but i am mexican. I never looked at it from anyones of colors view. When obama was elected as president everyone around me made comments about it. Most of them racist. I live in a small town with a bunch of country folks. There is one black family in the town, i have kkk liveing 10 minutes away. But i am really glad to have a color president to show everyone tht its not the color that matters...its the morals, honesty and truth of the person.

on May. 3 2009 at 12:19 pm
This article is amazing. Anyone can do anything, no matter what race or social status they are. It's not fair; has anyone ever heard "Don't judge a book by its cover"? That's exactly what this article conveys. Anyone can do anything, as long as they put their heart in it.

on Apr. 6 2009 at 7:31 pm
DinosoarJen DIAMOND, Scottsville, New York
86 articles 0 photos 82 comments

Favorite Quote:
Just another casualty.
It's sad but true.
And even dead I'm still ahead
of most of you.

I think this is beautifully written, but heres some advice: You shouldn't need Obama to bring back your faith in America. You really can do anything you want to, but what you're forgetting is so can other people. You CAN run for president and people CAN vote for you, or they can't. If all your life you've believed that color doesn't matter, KEEP BELIEVING IT because it's true! It comes down to what kind of a person you are. And if you look at Obama close enough you'll see that he isn't all that great. He's got some gaping holes all through him. And some people voted for him just because he was black, and maybe they though God would love them more if they voted for the powerful black man. You should go out and tell them color doesn't matter, people matter. That's my 2 cents.

iWrite2 SILVER said...
on Mar. 31 2009 at 8:45 pm
iWrite2 SILVER, Jackson, Tennessee
8 articles 0 photos 7 comments
Awesome

i truely understand the point you're trying to make with dreams and such. We all have dreams that we hope to come true and this year's election just broke the mold on all cliche's and stereotypes. =]

God's Child said...
on Mar. 24 2009 at 2:53 pm
Taylor I am truly so proud of you and continue with your dreams and knwo with "God" all things are possible!!

skip87 said...
on Mar. 8 2009 at 12:23 am
This was very insightful! Unfortuntly, I think a lot of people think this way, that's why when young people reach a certain age, they realize they have squandered their life and feel now their dreams are just dreams. Hopefully this will encourage people to pursue their dreams!

johnnu said...
on Mar. 7 2009 at 11:51 pm
i love this essay- it is the essence of this years election for many people not only African Americans.

So Amaing!

Johnnu

on Feb. 27 2009 at 8:50 pm
Thanks Teen Ink! I would've never guessed I would be published in a real magazine- this is a dream come true!

Thanks again

Taylor M.