Stealing From the Rich to Give to the Poor | Teen Ink

Stealing From the Rich to Give to the Poor

By ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri

Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

With the recent debates airing on TV, it brings to mind, “Is stealing from the rich and giving to the poor,” such a good idea? Now, that itself defines the belief of most democrats. Take the ‘extra’ money from the rich, and give it to the poor.

Most conservatives will tell you that they don’t want to give their money to people who don’t work. And, yet, everyone sings the same tune and reads the story of gallant Robin Hood… the vigilante, on the run from the government, who steals from the arrogant rich and gives the money to the well deserving poor.

But, in today’s world, Robin Hood was replaced by the government.

Many people are quick to point out that the rich man shouldn’t let the poor man starve, even if he is drunk or high. This is a general consensus. So, what to do? Well, John Smith said that in Jamestown, if you didn’t work, you didn’t eat. Unfortunately, many people in society today are hooked on drugs or alcohol. They can’t just up and work, because they are recovering addicts.

Because the programs out there today to get these people off of drugs and such are expensive and sometimes don’t work, most rich people, or working people, don’t want to pay for them.

Some believe that the government should say, get off drugs and work or die. But, it is against human nature to let your fellow humans die. And, if these teenagers walking the streets see that if you try to mooch off the government when you do drugs, you die, then maybe they won’t try drugs either.

Sometimes, though, it feels like the government just steals from the rich and the poor and keeps it for themselves. Many people believe that since these addicts dug themselves into a hole, the rich shouldn’t be there to dig them out.

But back to Robin Hood. Perhaps this character had honest intentions, and perhaps he truly only gave the money to the well deserving poor. But, then again, this is not Medieval Europe.  Medieval Europe didn’t have Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

Cruiser18 said...
Check your facts. You have no idea what you're talking about. Robin Hood did not steal from the rich to give to the poor. He stole from the government that taxed people to much, and returned the money to its rightful owners. A modern equivalent cannot be found for Robin Hood, so stop trying to use him to explain your point.