Curfew | Teen Ink

Curfew

What if all states would allow teens to be out at night, until whenever they wanted? I think if this were to happen then there would be more crimes near all communities would be affected. Curfews were once created for restoring and maintaining order in lower crime neighborhood, according to the Reynolds and Ruefle analysis. I believe that curfew should be held in the United States.

First of all, I believe that if curfews would be taken away there would be a large amount of people that would get hurt. This would be because of people who stay out until they want to maybe causing damage to others. For example, say you're sleeping and its 12:00 a.m. Suddenly you hear laughter, and loud talking. I know that would disturb me. If curfew is kept, people won't have to worry about that happening.

Secondly, curfew is another way of staying out of trouble. Having a curfew could prevent teens from getting a ticket from the police. And it will also save teens from having your parents having to come and talk to the police because teens were out having fun after hours. I read on the Internet that in 1994, people took surveys in police stations, in a community with the population over 200,000. Over 70% of the people decided that it would be a better idea to have curfews.

My third reason why I believe that it would be a bad idea to take curfews away, in places that have a high percent of crimes, is because then there would be more crimes. For example in Austin where the night clubs have been set only for elders and for teens you needed to leave at 10:30 p.m. and on weekends teens had to be out of the night club by 11:30 p.m. Curfew has become a major issue in many states/cities. That's why many states are taking charge and putting a stop on crimes that are being done near their community.

I believe that if we would stick with having a curfew, our communities would be a lot safer than to have it taken away. What would our communities be with out curfew? Keep that in mind, and don't let that happen to where we all live.