The Shared Values of a Community | Teen Ink

The Shared Values of a Community

October 29, 2016
By GlendiR BRONZE, Bronx, New York
GlendiR BRONZE, Bronx, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As unfortunate as the election of 2016 may be, Americans know that to convey the public opinion unto the government, compromises must be made. Americans must be able to gather the major values that they share and structure one single opinion as a community.


In an effort to project American’s opinions, it’s required for them to share their values as a whole to construct one opinion, by doing this America as a community will flourish.


By forming one opinion as a community, it benefits the opinion to be stronger and heard. “The strongest communities,” FeverBee wrote “are formed by uniting people who share same values...A value is deeper. It’s an ingrained belief acquired through upbringing, personal experiences, and our cultural groups.” Values play an important part when it comes to the choices we make, how we react or respond to situations, and who we interact with. When our values are being honored, we feel satisfaction. When someone else is arguing against our values, we feel a certain level of discomfort or dissonance.


The effects of having people in a community sharing the same values, and leading to a structural opinion based on those values is a more stable, unified, and understanding general public. The morals that are shared, bring citizens closer to events or a dilemma that has emerged. Therefore, the citizens are more likely to unite and effectively solve the dilemma. Opinions are not disregarded as insignificant or minor but are heard and taken into account. What people say or think about a certain topic matter. Furthermore, citizens can spend less amount of time debating of who is correct, when they share the same opinion.


Other people argue that sharing the same values only decrease diversity and understanding of different cultural due to people not conversing their differences. Nevertheless, this is not true, when people share the same values they learn that even though other people are diverse from them, they can have similar characteristics.


In the current election, voters are choosing to vote for Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump, due to their values. Voters of Clinton are known to have the values that women are equal and that they should have the same opportunities. While the voters of Trump have the values of anti-immigration and anti-Muslim. According to BCC, Clinton is leading with 49% following Trump with 43%.


The election isn’t the only example of this. In the story “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson, there is tradition, where a person wins the “lottery” and the rest of the villagers get to throw rocks at the “lucky winner”.


“Mr.Summers spoke frequently to the villagers about making a new box, but no one liked to upset even as much tradition as was represented by the black box.” This shows that  rest of the villagers valued tradition more than Mr. Summers and had already structured one solo opinion that it shouldn’t be disturbed.


The community held this tradition for so long because of their common value; of the importance of tradition structured an opinion that everyone shared.