Stop Discriminating Against Russians: Sports VS. Politics | Teen Ink

Stop Discriminating Against Russians: Sports VS. Politics

By FeyFugitve BRONZE, Culver, Indiana
FeyFugitve BRONZE, Culver, Indiana

The referee blew the whistle, and it was official. Chelsea had beaten Manchester City and won the European Championship! The stadium went into a frenzy, as fans in every seat pumped their fists as they cheered victoriously. I joined in on the celebrations from abroad, cheering for the team on social media along with everyone else. As a soccer fan, I enjoy the way sports spark passions and bring people of all backgrounds together. So, you can imagine my disappointment when I read an article that reported that the owner of Chelsea, Abramovic, was banned from the club because of his Russian nationality. I, along with fans from across the world, had all believed  that politics had no place in sports. When did it all change?

Prior to the invasion of Ukraine, Russian athletes proved to the world their excellence in athletics at the Beijing Olympics 2022. They placed second in total medal counts and ninth in gold medal counts. The Russian Skaters especially impressed the whole world. But while people were still basking their performance, Russia began its invasion in Ukraine. Almost immediately, FIFA suspended Russia national football team from playing in Qatar World Cup. Not soon after, 83 Russian and Belarus Paralympics athletes were barred from competing in the Beijing Paralympics.

Russian athletes have been made to pay for Putin's actions. While sanctions on the government are acceptable and needed, athletes should not be held responsible for acts they didn’t commit. As best said by Artem Dzyuba, captain of the Russian soccer team, “"I am against any war, but I am also against discrimination at a national level.” The career of an athlete is undoubtedly short. Wins from competitions are also what constitute much of an athlete’s pay. Any sanction to athletes can destroy their careers, and in the worst cases, their livelihoods. This situation is even more unjust as many Russians are not aware about the war in Ukraine; the government is in control of the media, and there is no such thing as free speech. 

We need to change our views on Russian athletes and Russians in general. It is the Putin and his government that wants a war with Ukraine — the country’s citizens are not at fault. These sanctions only tear down everyday people who are looking to provide for their families, and should not be our focus. We need to treat Russians with respect, kindness, and empathy. So next time you read an article celebrating the barring of Russian citizens from international events, think twice about who we should make the enemy.

As a freshman in high school, I witnessed and recorded the dramatic change of Chelsea soccer club and the public opinion about Russia.