How the Past is Still Present: A Connection Between Jin and Current Day Students | Teen Ink

How the Past is Still Present: A Connection Between Jin and Current Day Students

June 27, 2024
By divyaj123 GOLD, Roslyn Heights, New York
divyaj123 GOLD, Roslyn Heights, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Gene Luen Yang’s book American Born Chinese is very easily connected to the racism prevalent within schools today. The author highlights his experience in an all-white school as an Asian American. When the main character, Jin Yang, goes to his first day of third grade after being surrounded by other Chinese people his whole life, he experiences his first dose of what would come for the rest of his life. A student in his class, Timmy, raises his hands and says, “My momma says Chinese people eat dogs,” (Luen Yang 13).  Jin is appalled, and the teacher doesn’t attempt to correct him and even pronounces his name wrong, additionally assuming he is from China because of his appearance. This incident underscores the significant role that older models, like parents, play in shaping the attitudes and behaviors of adolescents. Research has shown that children are highly impressionable and often internalize the beliefs told to them by authority figures. In the case of Jin, his parents' values and the experience he gathered from his previous neighborhood had dramatically differed with the xenophobic behavior he encountered in his predominantly white school environment. We, as readers, see as the book goes on, Jin internalizes this racism and resents his Chinese identity. 

University students, specifically those of Asian descent, have found themselves increasingly targeted and attacked for their identity during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. This wave of xenophobia is the result of various factors, including the high influence of media and the misuse of spaces like Chinatown as symbols of the virus. The portrayal of COVID-19 in the media, often accompanied by images of predominantly Asian areas, has spread harmful stereotypes and fueled anti-Asian sentiment. Additionally, the prolonged period of living with parents during lockdowns may have unintentionally exposed impressionable children to prejudiced attitudes and beliefs, as families grappled with the uncertainties and anxieties that came with a pandemic. Additionally, certain phrases used by political figures, such as former President Trump's labeling of the virus as the 'Chinese virus' or 'Kung Flu,' further aggravated tensions and contributed to the umbrellaing of all Asian people under a blanket of suspicion. 

Furthermore, these Asian stereotypes, such as the perception of them as inherently intelligent and less in need of assistance, have become deeply ingrained in societal attitudes and are often internalized by students themselves. As a result, Asian students like the ones in an Oxford case study done in 2024, found themselves facing discrimination in academic and professional settings, where their achievements were sometimes overlooked due to preconceived notions of their abilities. Unfortunately, this prejudice can also form into acts of aggression and bullying, as shown by the alarming rise in attacks against Asians reported in an article by PBS in 2020. PBS conducted interviews with parents and children directly experiencing the effects of xenophobia during the COVID-19 pandemic and also sourced research while talking. The study showed even high school students, who are still in the process of forming their identities and beliefs, have been influenced by perpetuating discriminatory stereotypes that arrived with COVID-19 and target their peers of Asian descent. Researchers have credited this behavior to the influence of parents and the echo chamber of social media, which amplifies and reinforces negative narratives about who is to “blame” for the virus. The language used by political leaders early in the crisis only validated and spread these harmful stereotypes to the general public, further complicating efforts to foster understanding and create unity in the face of an unexpected global crisis. 

The experiences of Jin in American Born Chinese offer insights into the impact of racism on people, especially children, and can still be applied today, especially in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Like Jin, many students of Asian descent have faced discrimination and prejudice rooted in harmful stereotypes sustained by the media and societal expectation. By examining Jin's journey of self discovery throughout the book, we as a society can better understand the challenges faced by those targeted for their ethnicity or heritage.

The parallels between Jin's experiences and the real-life stories of university students from the case study done by Oxford is remarkable, despite the large time gap in occurrence. Both Jin and the students in the study wrestle with the internalization of stereotypes and the effects of society on their perceptions of self-worth. One student recalled an experience of having items thrown at them in a grocery store and getting called slurs. Another tells the researchers she felt too scared to even go out with a mask during early stages of the pandemic simply because she was Asian. Certain students felt isolated after being targeted racially, even noting that they began to place more value on what others thought of them, feeling more out of place as an Asian-American. However, different students attempted to drown voices out with support of friends who were experiencing similar discrimination. Majority of the students in the study discussed the inappropriateness of umbrellaing all Asians, and how it forced them under more stereotypes.  Just as Jin struggled to rediscover his Chinese heritage by ignoring the stereotypes placed upon him by society throughout the book, as seen with Chin-Kee, students targeted by racism during the COVID-19 pandemic were forced to face assumptions and biased ideas that undermined their sense of identity and belonging. 

In confronting these difficulties, it is important to realize the power of storytelling and utilize education to understand and fight against prejudice. By magnifying diverse voices and challenging stereotypes, we can create a more inclusive society where individuals of all backgrounds are valued and respected. Ultimately, the journey of Jin and the experiences of individuals targeted by racism during COVID-19 pandemic remind us of the importance of empathy and the actions that still need to be taken to build a more just and compassionate world.


The author's comments:

This writing felt right in my style, and I naturally gravitate towards topics that revolve around societal issues. Initially, I was especially drawn to the effect parental figures have on children due to Tommy’s comment in the beginning of the book.  It caused a spark of interest in how children of that time and even now are shaped by their parents’ vocal opinions. His comment prompted me to explore not only parents, but all authority figures. Additionally, I was curious by the repercussions of the stereotypes projected by COVID-19 pandemic on children, and the Oxford study provided me with valuable information.  Their interviews enabled me to deeply empathize with the students. I wanted to highlight the struggles of children, because they aren’t to be overlooked, as Jin demonstrates. I personally relate to Jin’s experience, and Gene Luen Yang’s story inspired me to find others who experienced the same. Writing this paper felt like a tribute to the experiences of both the students and myself. It provided a sense of closure, knowing that others shared similar struggles and managed to overcome them, while also serving as a reminder to cherish my own identity.