not your average underdog story | Teen Ink

not your average underdog story

By Lindsey.L SILVER, New York, California
Lindsey.L SILVER, New York, California

Pretty. Perfect. Rich. This is pretty much the formula to what most girls envy, I know I do. Now, you may be thinking, another article on the classic teen girl underdog? How original. True, this may just be that article, but with some slight difference. I am not under any illusion that I’m any better than popular girls. Not everyone can admit that they’re just as bad as the girl we live to hate on. I consider myself a regular girl. A regular girl with normal envy for the uniqueness of being pretty and rich. I could write an article about how even though I may have an awesome personality, I am not noticed because the popular girls who, according to the stereotypes of the world, have mean personalities. I could write all that and receive sympathy and kind words, but it would all be undeserved. Instead of only writing parts about how my story is so sad, I’d like to tell you the WHOLE truth that is often left out. I mock the pretty girls and scrutinize their hair outfits and bodies. It’s how we all feel better about ourselves after feeling sorry for ourselves. Every teenage girl I know can admit to this, because we all, No matter how subconsciously, judge. I feel bad after, because it sinks me to the level of mean all regular girls like me thought we were above. I’m a good person, with good values, but sometimes what I envy for makes me resort to things completely contradictory to my own feelings toward the popular. I want to be a better person, and to never judge , but this time, I want to do it with no illusion that I’m better than anyone else.