Living the American Dream? | Teen Ink

Living the American Dream?

By princess6 GOLD, Berwyn, Illinois
princess6 GOLD, Berwyn, Illinois

"You choose your own destiny" :)

Illegal Immigration is one of the most controversial topics. There are many reasons why people believe the U.S should limit immigrants from becoming citizens. People are constantly putting the issue down, but has anyone ever bothered to look at the illegal immigrants point of view? Mexicans are the largest “minority” and also the largest amount of people who come to America illegally. Many people ask the question why do so many want to come? For starters Mexico pays much less than what America pays, many towns are poor, and can barely afford a school, I have witnessed it myself, when you see children no bigger than 10 barefoot, begging for money it hits you hard, knowing that you were blessed with all these opportunities while they have no other choice b but to beg. Most people that live in those small poor towns see a future much bigger than their small town, they dream of the American dream and to once own their white picket fenced home, that they’ve only dreamed about. They endure the hard journey that lies ahead, crossing the border illegally. They do not know if they will make it alive or whether they will die being shot by minutemen or die from starvation, many come with no more than a few dollars just dreaming of what lies ahead in their long journey. Thousands of people cross the border illegally but only hundreds make it alive. They’ve entered a foreign land not knowing the customs and language. They’ve come to America to live out the American dream, but people make them feel unwelcome in this great land, and they are stared down as their less than which is completely unfair and unjust. Many immigrants feel that they have to abandon the culture they left behind, in order to fit in. We brag about how we are a free country that has freedom of speech and religion, but when people come to the United States to live out their dreams they are looked down on with hate. They are not able to apply for health care or unemployment, so they are left to fend for themselves. I am an American born ,full Mexican, this makes me want to live out my culture fully and proudly, for all of those who fee l like that they are not able to. I could only dream of having the amount of courage that all the immigrants have.. My father was one of them..he is now a citizen living the American dream, but it was not an easy rode to get to where he is, when I look at him I feel a sense of pride, knowing that I belong to both sides of the border, but it’s hard knowing that thousands of immigrants in America are not able to feel the same way I feel.

"We are the land of the free, yet we make people feel unwelcome..which is completely unjust"

amy lise said...
all the immigrants have the right to stay anywhere they won't. 

lilvictum95 said...
lilvictum95, Brookyln, New York
This is an amazing post.  

lilvictum95 said...
this is outstanding  

Breanna said...
Wow, I never really thought about it that way

Seth said...
you toched an important issue

Deshawn said...
Awesome  you just made me cry!

princess6 GOLD said...
princess6 GOLD, Berwyn, Illinois

"You choose your own destiny" :)

plz feel free to comment on my work, thnxs! ;)