The Ways of the Woeful World | Teen Ink

The Ways of the Woeful World

November 6, 2011
By abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia
abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia
24 articles 8 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle


Millions of African people were shipped in hazardous conditions out of their homeland and into the harsh hands of American slave owners, who beat them for speaking their mind and lashed out all thoughts against the order of that age’s society. After the Civil War, things got altered for the best, though people reluctantly gave up their deep-rooted ways. Slavery was abolished and African-Americans as well as Caucasians were treated equally under the Constitution. Well, that was the plan. For years afterwards, segregation occurred in many places all over the country, especially the south. Then, courageous men and women spoke out and took action. Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks are just two of the many exemplars who assisted in changing the disgraceful ways of America. Since the Civil Rights Movement, things have changed from segregation to racial arguments and discrimination. This can be toward any race, religion, nationality, gender, or more; it isn’t just from Caucasians against African-American. Usually in the current day it is discreet, but still Americans hold grudges against anyone with diverse looks from what they witness in the mirror. We, as the future generation of the world, need to demolish the appalling ways different kinds of people have regarded one another.

We may think that the Civil Rights Movement eradicated all thoughts that race was different in the minds of Americans, but unfortunately, that is incorrect. In numerous cases, people have said, “My parents won’t allow me to date anyone black,” or, “My mom says I can’t marry a white guy,” even, “My father will kill me (metaphorically) if he found out who my boyfriend is.” All of these are perfect instances of how separation of race, nationality, and religion still affect present day society. This is why we need to maintain civil rights meetings or give speeches like Martin Luther King Jr. did in order to teach everyone in our country to give love, not only one’s own race, but instead to everyone they cross.

America is only one country out of 196 countries in the world. Discrimination isn’t merely going on here. In fact, it’s worse in other places. Take the Middle East, for example, women still have a hard time and can’t get jobs or respect. In Rwanda, the Tutsis vs. the Hutus are a continuing battle about past conflicts. The Kurds minority are ridiculed in Iran’s public. Many issues are going on in the world that we turn a blind eye to because we don’t want to get involved. Well, that’s exactly what we need to do. Not a full out war, which is usually the solution; violence will not be necessary. Instead, we could organize rallies, speeches, and much more to get rid of all the disconnection between different people. The next generation needs to unite and battle the hate on Earth (nonviolently) to make our homes an enhanced place.

Life is full of lemons, but with the help of this generation and the love and cooperation of others, we can turn those lemons into lemonade. The past contradictions don’t have to limit the future generation in striving for a more equal world. With all the technology in the world, the next age group has all the resources in success. It is imperative to invite others to come and continue what more superior individuals have started, because all of it isn’t over yet. Also, other countries need our help, and we can’t just let them go unnoticed as we have for so long. The Civil Rights Movement can carry on into today’s civilization, though maybe not as fiercely. Speeches, rallies, meetings, and more can set the stage for change.