Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

January 14, 2012
By Neesha BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
Neesha BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi


Bullying is a very big problem in the world today. People are made fun of because of their race, gender, smell, height, weight, and anything else the persecutor can find to bother someone about. In the United States, teens die everyday because they are tired of being put down or ignored. This can no longer be ignored.

It’s not good to have bullying in a learning environment. School is for learning, not psychological torture. That’s what the bully’s are doing. They try to intimidate their prey and make them feel weak. It’s hard to learn in a hostile environment. It would be hard to take in the information the teacher gives when you’re paranoid and scared of what their next move is, or how you’re going to make it through the day. It’s terrifying.



My school has taken steps to exterminate bullying the best they can. People who bully have consequences such as out of school suspension, in school suspension, detentions, parent conferences, expulsion, and if needed, handing the situation over to the police. It has proven to be a good way to stop the bullying, or at least to calm it down.



No one should have to put up with bullying. It’s every human’s right. Whether it’s the victim or the bully, they are most likely victims of bullying. They shouldn’t have such an inflicted pain pressed on them for the enjoyment and fascination of others. We should all be able to walk around and not have to worry about someone else making fun of us or trying to hurt us in any way, shape, or form.



Bullies know who to target. They use people who are different from them. Someone may have less money or be poor, and maybe even from another country. Ignorant people are always looking for something to make themselves seem “higher” than others. They think they are better than us. Sometimes they may even use stereotypes against us, because they know those kinds of things hurt us.



One thing we should always remember is that bullies are just like us. The only difference is that they hide behind the glass wall thinking that we can’t reach them. To them, you can’t see their pain. To get through to a bully, all you have to do is break the glass, stand up for yourself, and be proud of who you are. As the great Mahatma Gandhi said, “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” We need to remember to know who we are, love who we are, and never let someone else’s definition of us define who we are. Despite the way someone else treats us, hurts us, hates us, ridicules us, teases us, or humiliates us, love who you are and love the bully.


The author's comments:
I want others to know that bullying hurts everyone, even the person who gives the pain. We need to know there is another alternative to bullying and stand up for ourselves while understanding why someone does these kind of things. We need to remember that we are all equal and nobody's perfect.