Fighting Bipolar | Teen Ink

Fighting Bipolar

February 11, 2013
By LizzyB BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
LizzyB BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Having bipolar disorder is hard to deal with. Having two different types of moods that change several times a day to a few times a year. There moods can change from very happy, to very sad or depressed. It really does not help when someone with bipolar is getting bullied. People should not be bullied for something they cannot control.

There are a lot of statistics about kids with bipolar, and kids getting bullied for having it. Not a lot of people know them. According to Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) a child has a 15 to 30% chance of getting bipolar, when one of their parents have it. When both parent have bipolar the child has a 50 to 75% chance of getting it. About 2.3 million American have bipolar. Bipolar disorder results in 9.2 years reduction in someones expected life span. As many as one in five bipolar patients commits suicide.

Knowing there are a lot of statistics about bipolar, we have to remember that it is about real people. 16 year old Kira has bipolar disorder and has been bullied all her life. Since she has been bullied since sixth grade and is still being bullied, Kira has tried to commit suicide, but was caught by her mom. She was sent to get help and recovered. She was physically and mentally bullied since she was nine years old, so she now helps others that are being bullied.

What we need to do in ours schools to make them feel safe, and comfortable is to set up a good support system, give them a safe zone when they get a melt down. Also to set a plan up and to individualize there learning plan to fit their needs. When Kira the 16 year old was telling people 3 tips on fighting bipolar she said, “ To take your medications, to build a good support network, and to find an outlet for your frustration.” We can help them by supporting them through their problems. They would appreciate it a lot more if we tried to help them and make them feel safe.

In conclusion, people with bipolar should not be discriminated against or bullied. They cannot control there illness they were born with. Plus bipolar is hard enough to cope with, they should not have to go through bulling on top of it, that is just unfair.


Works Cited

"Beyondblue: The National Depression and Anxiety Initiative - Helping
Yourself." Beyondblue: The
National Depression and Anxiety Initiative-
Helping Yourself. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.

"Bipolar Disorder." Bopolar Disorder Awarness Day. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2013.
"Bipolar Disorder." Seroquel XR. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.
"Bipolar Disorder Statistics." DBSA. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.
"Living with Bipolar as a Teen: School." About.com Bipolar Disorder. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.
"Bullied For Having Bipolar (But This 16 Year Old Is Nobody's
Victim!)." The Balanced Mind
Foundation. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.
Lederman, Judith, and Candida Fink. The Ups and Downs of Raising a Bipolar Child: A Survival Guide for Parents. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. Print.
Staff, Mayo Clinic. "Definition." Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and
Research, 18 Jan. 2012. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.
"Understanding Bipolar Disorder." - Mind. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.
"Bipolar Disorder." Seroquel XR. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2013.