Helping Others Gain Independence | Teen Ink

Helping Others Gain Independence

October 15, 2013
By Bella17 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
Bella17 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I believe in relying on yourself. I believe in not depending on others to help you every step of the way. I believe, in each one of us, the right to find independence.

Greeted by frigid air conditioning and the smell of feet, I walked into Bellaire Lanes, one of the local bowling alleys. I looked to my left and saw the group I had come to meet. I walked over a little nervous, and said hello to Lindsey whom had invited me to come help out.

“Hey Bella! Thanks so much for coming! We really need the help. This is Sherri, Danny, Kristie,..” I looked around at all their faces. They stared blankly in my general direction and I took their hands and formally introduced myself. They all greeted me warmly and asked about school and what I liked to do. I didn’t know what questions were rude to ask when talking to a blind person, so I kept it simple and asked how their weekend had gone, what they liked to do for fun, and so on.

As I guided them to the ramp, (on which they would place the bowling ball and push it down the ramp, into the 9 awaiting pins) I realized how easily they could learn a place. After only a few times of holding their arms, guiding them to and from the ball dispenser, they knew how to maneuver around the cramped space by themselves.

I made a remark to Lindsey about how quickly they get used to an area. She told me, “These people are more adaptable than you and I might ever be. They learn how to live through their arms, their hands, legs, feet…not through vision. And that is why we stress that volunteers like you and I let them be guided only a little, then do it on their own.”

Independence, even if only by the meaning of ability to move how we wish to, see what we want to, or hear what we must, is determined by us- the individual. I believe that even the visually disabled and blind have every capacity to gain some new level of independence. I only hope that I’m able to help someone, and be their guide for just long enough until they can be more independent too.


The author's comments:
After volunteering weekly at a bowling alley, helping the blind to have some fun, I found myself humbled by things I would never usually think to be grateful for, such as, eyesight. Watching the group get accustomed so quickly to an area made me gain confidence in the blind community, and think twice about negative ideas on blind citizens.