Hidden Reason of Teen’s Drug Usage | Teen Ink

Hidden Reason of Teen’s Drug Usage

By JLI SILVER, Mclean, Virginia
JLI SILVER, Mclean, Virginia

Bump, Bump, Bump... "Everything stops. And suddenly, you give it air again. Give it life again." These are the words and authentic feelings of sixteen-year-old drug addict Rue in the TV series Euphoria. Rue’s character takes drugs to numb her suffering from depression, anxiety, and other disorders. One month ago, one of my best friends, Jennifer, Face Timed me. I knew she was having difficulties due to her anxiety, but that day, she seemed abnormally hyperactive and talkative, walking up and downstairs and constantly repeating, “I found a way.” During the call, I asked her what she meant, but she never answered me. Later, Jennifer told me she had taken cocaine that day because she thought it would help relieve her anxiety, but now she’s feeling even worse.

Today, many teenagers take drugs like marijuana, cocaine, and heroin to help alleviate the pain associated with ADHD, depression and anxiety. The Child Mind Institute states, “Having another mental health disorder, like depression or anxiety, makes kids with ADHD more likely to abuse substances.” These drugs, however, can lead to more severe illnesses and even death. The perception of that these drugs are effective “tools” to help with their mental state is wrong, and drug-dependent teens must be warned. Mental illness is dangerous, it could lead to many other sicknesses and impulsive behaviors.

In recent decades, an important element causing teens mental illnesses is due to the frequent use of social media. There are multiple studies showing a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk for depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. All the posts and videos teens view on social media could make them self-abased and insecure, even if they know that the images are manipulated. By reducing mental illnesses among teens that further causes them to be relief-oriented drug users, one effective approach is to let teens take breaks from social media and be more attached to the real world instead of the virtual one.

While marijuana can have a calming effect and can reduce some kinds of physical pain, it cannot cure mental illness or chronic physical ailment; in fact, it can worsen a teen’s risk of depression and suicidal thoughts. Therefore, effectively educating teens about drug harm and side effects is a practical approach to prevent them from being substance abused. According to the Office of National Drug Policy, “It’s been shown that parents who make an effort to understand the pressures and influences on young people are more likely to keep their teen healthy and drug-free.” Therefore, effectively educating teens about drug harm and side effects is a practical approach to prevent them from being substance abused.

The usage of drugs to relieve mental and physical pain at a young can bring on other horrifying conditions. According to The New York Times, early exposure to marijuana, nicotine, and alcohol might lead to the faster development of substance use disorders (SUD). This disorder is caused by the recurrent use of alcohol and/or drugs causes clinically significant impairment, including health problems, disability, and failure to meet major responsibilities at work, school, or home. Developing this disorder at a young age leads to a much higher risk of mental health problems.

How can we help teenagers understand these dangers seemingly benign drugs contain toxic ingredients that can further worsen their issues? Parents and guardians play a crucial role in helping their children understand the dangers of these popular drugs. They need to pay more attention to their child’s mental health by having relaxing conversations with them and listening to their needs. Assisting is better than blaming. Parents can also help their child maintain a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle, which is more effective at reducing mental and physical problems then drugs. Apart from parents, everyone can help by giving warmth, and compassion to others because even the littlest act of kindness can significantly impact a person. Most importantly, reduce the reliance on social medias. The youth drug crisis can be helped with some conscious creative efforts that focus on understanding causes rather than blaming flawed teens and ineffective laws.

In the quiet moments after finishing my article, I often find myself deeply reflective, pondering the broader implications of my work. This isn't merely a collection of facts; it's a heartfelt expression of my concern for today's youth, a reflection of the change I wish to inspire. The process of writing about such significant issues has profoundly altered me, heightening my sensitivity to the struggles of others and reinforcing my resolve to seek real-world solutions. More than a writer, I consider myself a communicator and an advocate for change, aiming to bridge understanding and spark discussions that lead to healing. As I crafted each sentence, I carried with me thoughts of friends like Jennifer and many others whose struggles are often silent and overlooked. My commitment to this cause is deeply personal, driven by a sincere desire to illuminate the hidden battles many teenagers endure and to make a meaningful difference in the lives overshadowed by societal pressures and expectations.