lost respect | Teen Ink

lost respect

By xjordano0x SILVER, Stamford, Connecticut
xjordano0x SILVER, Stamford, Connecticut

"I write for the same reason that I breathe; because without it, I would die."

I believe I’ve made this clear to a lot of people I know. Honestly, I have no respect for those who drink, smoke, or do drugs. There are girls who are my friends on Facebook and I see their pictures being the most commented on. What are the pictures of? Beer pong, chugging down one beer of the whole case, looking out of their mind wasted, or just a interesting looking picture of the smoke caught in the air from that person who smoked.

I know parents have said to just say ‘no because it makes you better than them who didn’t’, and although most of us don’t listen to mom and dad on this case, I do have to agree with the parents. I see somebody smoking even the smallest of the cigarettes, and it’s almost as if my respect level for them just dropped to zero.

Tonight, I was coming back from a movie with my boyfriend as we ran into a couple of friends. Their eyes were red and they just asked us to join them to smoke a joint. I was silent, looking at these people who I’ve known for a while…not believing these people, my friends, really smoked.

Getting your hands on alcohol or drugs isn’t hard nowadays. We have drug dealers and fake IDs. I’ve been asked to smoke a few times, and my answer is simple: “No, I don’t do that stuff.”

I’m not sure how the asker feels when I say this, but hopefully, they’ll respect me for it. People who I know who have smoked specifically weed told me to never try it. It’s a bad habit and hard to get out of. I tell them I was never planning to try, and they always reply: “that’s good.”

I wouldn’t know what it’s like. But, I’m guessing once you begin, it’s like an addiction after the second or third hit. Maybe it’s the same with alcohol. I’ve heard rumors that girls in my school fill their water bottles with Vodka. This is ridiculous; what are they going to do, get drunk in school and get expelled?

I have respect for everybody until they give me a reason to think otherwise. I will never become an addict to smoking or drinking. I will stay sober and be proud of myself.

people who I know, people in my school, people around me.

Francesca.L. BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland

"I’m not sure how the asker feels when I say this, but hopefully, they’ll respect me for it."

When you begin an article saying you have no repsect for people who use drugs or alcohol, why on earth would you expect them to repsect you? I understand that it is something you do not want to try, but I believe you have generalized and made assumptions about people based on your preferences. Then again, I could be wrong.

StarryRoss GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Writing is the socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E.L. Doctorow

I was brought up in the same environment as you: no major issues, people that love me, do not believe/respect people that do drugs althought they're right, some actually have it hard. I agree on your article, but maybe organize/refine your ideas a little more? And double check grammar :)

thisgirl said...
I respect this. Alot. My only problem with this is 1.) no, you aren't hooked on marijuana after the first try. That's herion you're thinking of. You can't even get addicted to weed. Nice try. and 2.) a stoner or drinker doesn't care if you do the same thing as them. Nobody cares because they're doing it to fufill themselves, no you. If someone tries to pressure you into it, those are the people you lose respect for. Not everyone, but alot of people do drugs and drink to fill holes. Weather it be home life or depression or anxiety... they usually have a reason. It's really fucked up that you would lose respect for someone that just needs help. Smh, and get your facts straight.

Caravana GOLD said...
Caravana GOLD, Joplin, Missouri

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength."

I like that you express your opinion on this matter at your age because most people don't, what you say someone else could read and rethink ever doing drugs. I wish I had read this I did drugs and drank for 5 years of my life, I am now 2 years clean but I wish I would've never fallen into that world, and yes not everyone does it just to do but no matter what the reason there is no excuse you can get away from addiction its a decision just like you made no matter what problems come your way you say no.

HannahLaRen SILVER, Atchison, Kansas

The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.

I honestly think that the people who commented harsh and rude things to the person who wrote this is doing the same thing they are telling the writer NOT to do. This is her opinion. Some people are raised differently than others and thats no reason to go online and comment rude things about this article.  Everyone has different views on life. Maybe this person just doesn't want to be around it. I mean, it IS scientifically proven that the majority of people around smokers and drinkers end up doing it to. Maybe she wants to live to see her kids grow up. That certainly DOES NOT mean she is a bad person.

experienced said...
experienced, Watertown, Wisconsin

"In this great future you can forget your past" Bob Marley

hallucinogens can open your mind to things you didnt even know where their. You can interact with dreams and when you come down the whole world just seems 10x more beautiful. Hallucinogens like peyote and mushrooms should be legal because of this.

experienced said...
experienced, Watertown, Wisconsin

honestly this article made me sick. I understand where you are coming from and I think alcohol is a stupid drug that is only used to black out, forget stuff and stumbe around. It is fun but adds no experience into your life. Marijuana is kind of the same but it can help you be more creative. Its not addictive but I still kind of think its stupid because it does not open your eyes like hallucinogenics.

rockyraccoon said...
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana

today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

by smoke i mean normal cigarettes.

rockyraccoon said...
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana

im curious when you say smokeing do you mean just like pot or all kinds and why smokeing is unwise but some smokers probably are not unrespecable. also could you respect an old person who smoked.

shorty said...
i love ur aritcle about RESPECT <3!!!!:)

BabyGirlBrittany SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Life isnt about finding yourself, Its about creating yourself,"

I think you need to expand you horizon, Not all people do drugs, drink , or smoke to look cool. Some do it for an escape. Maybe they are abused, neglected, impoverished, have a physical or mental disease, lost a parent, and the list could go on and on and on. You never know what someone is going through or why they do the things they do. Im not saying it's good or okay to turn to drugs, But don't automatically judge them as a attention getter or following the croud some people genuinley have problems. If there were less people in the world to judge them , and more out there that would lend a hand to help them, Maybe they wouldn't be on drugs.

ashley1012 BRONZE, Glasgow, Kentucky

Come askin for it and you will get

i have to agree all the way with this article becuase i have never tryed it and never will try it my parents smoke but i told them that they should not

taboomonster123 BRONZE, Herndon, Virginia

Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.

I have to agree with the majority of the comments on here- the ones about not judging people- but I also think you're just putting out an opinion that most of us are too afraid to voice. I comment you for your bravery in posting this.

I just realized that your "More" thing was a fake. Silly me.

Sis94 BRONZE said...
Sis94 BRONZE, Dongola, Illinois

it's my life i choose to do what ever i do in it

RESPECT  is a big to many people like me. just having one is ok but more then that no

OrangeAbby said...
OrangeAbby, Modesto, California

Old enough to make you laugh before you go to sleep but young enough to make you smile when you first wake up.

I agree with N-Westrn13 its peoples choices. Not everyone goes down the holy path you go threw. If you lose respect for them so quickly how do you think they judge you? And never say never. There will be a time and a place where you will think hey Maybe this isn't so bad and try it. Maybe you wont be addicted but then maybe you may get the enjoyment out of trying new things out there. 

N-WESTRN13 BRONZE, Spokane, Washington

"Sticks and Stones may break my bones but chains and whips excite me" Be good or be good at it ----

Dude you live in Stamford CT. Thats Stepford Wife zombie ville, you should ask yourself why they do those things, before you form a judgement about them. And yes pictures of girls when theyre drunk are the sexist, thats life hah. I hope I get a chance to blow my smoke in that pretty lil' unbroken shell you call a face someday.         "Respect those who Experince and Understand." 

xLoveMeForeverx BRONZE, Tacoma, Washington

how do you disrespect someone who smokes,drinks or does drugs? That's actually really shallow...I'd get to know that person first. Like a lotta people say, just because someone has made a bad desicion doesnt mean they're a bad person. I'm sure you've done something wrong or if you havent you WILL it's human nature...You're not a bad person for doing it nessisaril, you've just made bad choices...

BTW sorry for the bad spelling...I was just typing too fast to care :)

elyyy BRONZE said...
elyyy BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

AGREED.

That's not a good reason to loose respect for someone.

easyOcean BRONZE, Hollis, New Hampshire

Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkein

To be great is to be misunderstood. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide

I don't respect people who don't respect people for shallow reasons.

how's that?