Notes from the Midnight Driver | Teen Ink

Notes from the Midnight Driver

May 28, 2019
By Toaster_stroodle BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
Toaster_stroodle BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ring-Ring-Ring!.. That was the sound of the phone call that will change my life. At the moment of the phone call I was sitting on my front step under the hot, glistening sun with my good friend Lauri.She knew about Sol and how I had to take care of him for my punishment because I drank and stole my mom’s car and crashed it into somebody’s front lawn.I had worked very hard to please Sol even thought was a very grumpy old man who had tricked lauri into fluffing his pillows and giving him a foot massage. He would also call Lauri my “wife,” and called me Boychik which is something like fool in his native language. As soon as my mom finished the call she told me to put on my coat as my mom swung open the door and said “Alex, It’s Sol we need to go NOW!”.

As we enter the scorching hot parking lot, I could only question myself on “what could be wrong with Sol.” We entered the hospital with such haste that I couldn’t smell the strong odor of the disinfectants in the hospital yet. We all ran up the stairs so that a nurse could escort us to Sol’s room. Once we arrived in his room he said “Did you bring your wife, Boychik, Don’t lose her like I lost my daughter, they are both keepers” then he seemed to fall asleep, but a Loud “BEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee,” Noise started to come from a machine with a screen and a green line running across it. I Knew what this meant!, but all I could think of was that I needed to get out of there! And so I did… except I had taken the car with me.  I was going around 90 mph in my mom’s new car. Then it all got dark… and wet. I had woken coughing up water after being on cocious for about a few minutes. Two hands had laid over my shoulder, one of then was my mom’s, the other hand was from someone that I knew. It was Sarge! He was here to arrest me once again. After my court case, I was told that I would have to complete new assignment or I would have to go to juvenile detention or even serve jail time. Yet again I began on my new assignment except with a new senior, mark. Mark is just like Sol, but without the tricks, yet Sol has left a long impact on me.


The author's comments:

It is boring