High School Musical: The Musical: The Series | Teen Ink

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

December 19, 2019
By Anonymous

The drama filled comedy, High School Musical: the Musical: the series, has recently been added to the newest trend Disney+.  Disney+ is a streaming service by Disney, it is a competitor with Netflix, hulu, and other streaming services. Disney is becoming very popular with the low prices. For a year, Disney+ costs $60 where as Netflix costs over $100 for a year.  


The series is about a group of Highschoolers who put on a production of the movie, High School Musical. Nini, (Olivia Rodrigo) is worried she won’t be good enough for one of the leads in the musical, Gabriella. Her ex-boyfriend (Joshua Bassett) Ricky gets the other lead, causing many conflicts for Nini. Nini deals with jealous girls, boy drama, and so much more typical high school problems. The episodes are filled with comedy for all ages and no bad language making it family friendly. Also, don't be surprised if you are so eager to watch the next episode due to their extremely interesting cliff hanging endings. 


I believe this was a very good addition to Disney. It involves the past generation who grew up watching High School Musical and includes the generation of today.  High School Musical was very popular in the early 2000’s. The music displayed in the series, by very talented young actress and actors, will bring back all the kids who grew up singing along to the original soundtrack. The new soundtrack includes some new music from the new cast with some really good covers of the original songs. One song includes Lucas Grabeel who played Ryan in the original movies. The series can bring up some nostalgia for the fans of the originals. For example, the 6th episode is called, “What Team”, referencing the line said by Chad, (Corbin Bleu), in the original movies. 


The characters in the series do not correlate specifically with the characters from the original movies. Sharpay, a highschool diva queen, played in the original movies by Ashley Tisdale, is now being played by a boy. The characters are very different from the movie and the series. However, I think that’s what makes the series so entertaining. When we grew up we saw Highschool shown as a musical. Everyone was happy, and there was never any school stress. Now, as we get older we can see that Highschool is not a happy musical all the time. There is drama and a lot of homework that goes into it. However, we all grew up watching the same happy movie and would all love to be apart of it, just like the characters in the series. 


Overall, with the music and incredibly talented actors and actresses, I am pleasantly pleased and highly recommend High School Musical: The Musical: The Series now streaming on Disney+.