I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

JNMS7 said...
I, personally, really like Lady GaGa-- though, not everyone has to like her. To me, I see Lady GaGa as someone who really loves what she's doing and works as hard as she does because she's just living her dream. Sure, it does appear that she's morphed into an extreme character (that I've heard people call 'fake'), but I see it as her incorporating all of HER inspirations/ role models, etc. into one image. So basically what I'm saying is, she- in a way- IS being herself by displaying what she loves... She's just doing what she loves (writing music, performing and dressing up.) So, if you disagree with me, that's alright, but I still like her a lot. Peace! :p

inspiredbytheworld BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
I agree. This is an OPINION essay. Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinions, so they shouldn't get shot down just for presenting THEIR SIDE of an argument. And seriously? Do you really have to say "shut up"? It's undignified. If you want to argue against an opinion, at least spell all your words right. I mean come on. It's "blasphemy", and "foreign", and "disease". Maybe you're the one who shoud "shut up", considering your opinion wasn't very nice.

This is a reply to Britty(:'s comment. I pressed the wrong button...whoops...

I don't believe that you're justified in saying, "Why do people have to be normal to be popular?" That's the thing. Most normal people AREN'T popular. Generally, popular people are prettier than normal people, or have a unique skill that puts them above the common man. What I'm trying to say is that normal people AREN'T popular. (Generally) Lady Gaga is extremely popular, but we wouldn't quite call her normal, would we now? But it is true that we do not have the right to judge her. I personally do not like Lady Gaga's music, but I do not believe that we should shoot her down, just out of dislike.

gracegirl17 SILVER, Erie, Pennsylvania

THANK YOU. 

I try explaining this to my friends all the time, and they never agree. Lady Gaga is famous because she's weird. I appreciate unique, and I love different. Lady Gaga, however, is just bizzare. She has no thoughts, and most of her songs have no true meanings. Her song "Born This Way" does have a good message, but it's not original at all. The theme that you should love yourself has been around forever. She is a fake. 

TMichele said...
wat up    lady gaga is awesome   and .............."diffrent" if ya know what i mean

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

yeah, i totally agree with you, that i don't like lady gaga as a person. but as an actress/singer/perfomance artist/etc, i think she is really good. yeah, some of her lyrics and be a little racy, but even the beatles have some songs like that. the funny thing is is that i absolutely hate all pop music and at first i didn't think lady gaga was all that great, but when i saw her music videos, i kinda liked her. i mean, i don't really like her as a person (well, as much as i know about her) and none of her songs are on my mp3 player, but i don't hate her as a perfomance artist.

anyways, i thought this piece was very well-written. usually when pieces are controversial like this, the become popular only because they are controversial, even if they are horribly written (which bothers me SO much). i thought this piece was gonna be something like that, but it was actually pretty good, i liked how you had quotes from her. keep up the goo work!

Lynnies said...
Lynnies, Corvallis, Oregon

be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Hmm, contradictions? Her songs are intriguing and everyone else (artist-wise) seems to have changed. Like more extreme maybe? I liked it better when everyone was .... well not as wild? I dunno how to state it exactly. But I loved what you said (:

gogreen1 SILVER, Gretna, Nebraska
Love it. Great job.

Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

I'm all for being different and unique, but Lady Gaga seems more fake than unique.  I like this article because it's true. I don't like her trying to be all sexy and what not.  I wish artists would just be themselves and not try to get attention through anything other than their music. 

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

I like Lady Gaga but after I read this I can sort of see your point.  I like her music but some of the lyrics are suggestive and somehow I still like her but I'm not obsessed.  If I've never knew about Lady Gaga and I read this I probably wouldn't like her though.  You are very persuasive in your writing.  Good job!!!!! :))

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

I agree I love her singing!!!! It's awesome!!!!!

Jamu123 said...
She's Brilliant she could'nt be herself and was teased for not being normal not everybody thinks the same as these normal cliches everybody has and shes trying to tell people that its ok to be different or think different or even look different and she has an AMAZING voice

fyreflies BRONZE, Randolph, Wisconsin

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Doctor Suess
"Oh, of course it doesn't hurt to slide in softball." (before I tore up both knees and before I slapped that person)
"Stay with me here now/And never surrender" Skillet

That was constructive criticism. Hey, at least you're an art form, Lady.

lopez_ BRONZE said...
lopez_ BRONZE, Hubbard, Oregon

eh

illuminati!

HC12 said...

The thing about Lady Gaga is everyone calls her 'shocking' or 'unique' but everything she's been doing has been done before. Wearing an 'interesting' outfit and reproducing the same boring, repititive pop music that has been made time and time again is not being original. And what exactly is her great message? She's telling people they can 'be different' or 'be themselves' or something I suppose? By spending, no doubt thousands of dollars on ridiculous costumes how is she being herself or being unique? She's not. And that meat costume, that was obviously an attention stunt. How could someone want raw meat against their skin? That did not look good or give any sort of valid message. She talks about fashion all the time and thinks she's so clever when she makes references like those made in her interview in V magazine saying that a person not familiar with these references could 'never' go into fashion. As though she is an avocate for the industry? She is supposed to be providing her 'little monsters' with what? Some hope, some amazing message? By trying to be constantly outrageous? Lady Gaga is not 'unique' or 'original', she just keeps trying to shock the public with her lyrics, music videos and outfits. And it's working. People seem to idolise her and for what? Where does her real talent lie? Because it clearly is not in writing lyrics. I like the raw her. I'm not saying you have to be 'boring' or 'normal' but it's like she's completely denying herself to be the least bit normal just for the sake of her career as though this will improve things? Maybe if she wore the costumes and was just blunt about it I'd like her. Actually, no I wouldn't I don't like her music. Sorry I just had to get a few things off my chest.

Whatever, like Lady Gaga if you choose, but please lay off describing her as 'original'. 

FallonC. BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

\"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one\'s own sunshine.\" —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Though I haven't exactly made an attempt to keep informed of the celebrity world, what you wrote was definitely thought-provoking. I really enjoyed your writing style.

fyreflies BRONZE, Randolph, Wisconsin

Lady Gaga, so you say you are...

You're giving girls bad ideas. We don't need makeup and high heels to be beautiful. We don't need to sing about partying and stuff to make ourselves feel good. That's what everyone is singing about right now, anyway. Try some story-telling and ballads. They're good for your soul.

fyreflies BRONZE, Randolph, Wisconsin

We do need another David Bowie. I'm tired of these people who think they're so different, but are they really? This is why I won't allow myself, an avid musician, to go into music outside of school, because people out there want you to be things that you aren't. So, thanks, society? :P

Free- GOLD said...
Free- GOLD, Blllll, Kentucky

"I believe in you and I believe in me, and I believe that we are not meaningless."
"What a waste of a perfectly good wrist."

I don't like nor dislike LAdy Gaga's songs and costumes. I find her an anomoly also. She's very different, but I kind of like how different she is. I hope she can stay unique and encourage others to be unique. But sometimes it also seems like a front, and that she's going to collapse under all the stress. Only time will tell.