Television and Bullying | Teen Ink

Television and Bullying

By K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas
K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas

"Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you want, but you can only spend it once."

Television. It's the most popular device in the world other than cell phones. But it is also a device that breeds the most trouble. Due to the violence that is shown on TV, many children and teens are becoming more of a violent generation. when you think of this the phrase, "Monkey see, monkey do," comes to mind. This is because the young minds are like sponges and absorbing anything that they see whether it is violent or not. Watching Television also breeds bullying which is one of many major problems in the united states. Watching channels such as, Nickelodion,or even Disney and other cartoon type channels can breed bullying because of some of the violece shown on some of the shows such as, Spongebob, Suite life of Zach and Cody, and a multitude of others. But the main reason TV breeds bullying is the fact that it is a solitary activity and even educational channels such as the discovery channels have violence on them and they are still solitary activities. When they are watching TV with their parents they aren't inter acting with other people such as friends or classmates. Bullying can be stopped and TV is not the entire reason for this horrific act but it is a lot of it and it's up to the kids and parents to help prevent as much bullying as possible to help keep this problem to get any bigger.

I was inspired to write this piece because i have been bullied a number of times throughout my school career and its still happening and i hope that this will help save some other students from the same thing i went through.

dotn_me BRONZE said...
dotn_me BRONZE, Camarillo, California

okay- good article but this sponge bob& zach and cody thing..you totally lost me and i really can't see the relevance it has

please put paragraphs in next time cuz it makes things a heck of a lot easier to read..but i do agree with your idea, TV does lead to bullying, esp. when kids watch the wrong stuff

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Ok so it needs paragraphs, statistics/facts, and just more stuff to make it better, it's a bit short. But the idea of the paragraph is pretty good

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else - Erna Bombeck

In three words i can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on -Robert Frost

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

i agree with Megan.J.B, i think you could expand this a lot more because i think bullying is a topic that should be dealth with and people should have awareness anout it. I agree with you with how tv is influencing bullying, but like i said i think you could make this piece longer and more information in in it

Megan.J.B said...
Megan.J.B, Sault Ste Marie, Other

"Here's the real truth. There are eight million people in this city. And those teeming masses exist for the sole purpose of lifting the few exceptional people onto their shoulders. You, me? We're exceptional."
- Green Goblin. :)

You're right bullying is a problem and TV violence can sometimes be a factor, but this piece needs a lot of work. I would call this a rough draft at best. You need to be more thorough with your explanations and more precise with your reasoning. You also seriously need to try and edit/fix some of your grammatical errors.

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I like the idea, but I do agree with some of the other comments about paragraphing. Plus, as an opinion article, maybe a few more facts would make this a lot better. Other than that, I love what you have so far, and you definitely have room to improve :)

Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois

Anything is possible with a smile and goal in mind.

1. You need paragraphs.

2. grammer 

3. You need ETHOS! 

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Okay, I have some criticism.

1.  I know this is a short article, but please split your writing up into paragraphs to make it easier on the reader.

2.  Try to back up your opinions with facts and statistics.

3.  Work on your grammar.  Sometimes you forget to capitalize things that should be capitalized and you need to use commas a lot more.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

There were a few grammer errors but other than that good point!!!! :D

Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other

Preserve your memories, keep them well; what you forget, you can never retell.

TV can contribute to the bullying, but mostly it's how the bully feels about themselves. i also doubt Disney contributes to that, though.

K-Lewy BRONZE said...
K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas

Is anyone reading this article?

K-Lewy BRONZE said...
K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas

Is anyone gonna post anything?