Rapper Role Models | Teen Ink

Rapper Role Models

By 74Kjj BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
74Kjj BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

There are so many children trying to be like rappers or thugs. There are not enough great role models in our time now. Instead of wanting to be a firemen or a doctor little kids want to be rappers or sell drugs when they get older. The current, so called, best rapper alive has just gotten out of jail. Would parents want their children to model someone like a rapper? Now what man who has no respect for the law and thinks it would help his career if he went to jail?

There are many people who agree with me on the subject and have come up with their own opinions. Some people believe that he will be right back where he started, in jail. Many say that if they let Lil Wayne out of jail they will be setting a bad example for kids. This is not the only rapper who has just come out of jail. T.I. has also come out, but guess what? He’s going right back to his nice cozy cell. Their song lyrics are not so great to the ears either.

Their lyrics have so much violence it seems to twist the mind. There is one current rapper that is being sentence to life in prison, Lil Boosie. He has also come out with a song called “Mind of a Maniac.” He is showing children go to the crazy house it’s fun. When I become a parent, I will keep watch on what my children are listening to and watching.
Now I’m not trying to say to be strict on the kids, but just watch what is happening around them. Kids are exercising so much these days and others influence most of it. So much peer pressure is upon children who want to be like rappers or having the new trends. Such peer pressure does not influence me myself.

I hope people will see that the world is not all about rappers. Its about being yourself and trying to be the best you can be. You do not have to copy someone else to get people to think your cool or fun to be around.

74Kjj BRONZE said...
74Kjj BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I want to thank everyone for the comments and the suggestions. I have taking each and everyone's suggestions into thought. I have seen that many people have a great outlook on rappers and their lifestyle. I want to write another article about not only my thoughts but yours also. Please if you have any more suggestions let me know and what I should correct and work.

I dont like screwdrivers!

I definitely agree. Also, There are rappers who make peaceful music, such as Kid Cudi. He made a song about being accepted to a new school, a song about being ready to die and be with his father in heaven, and a song about how he thinks differently from other people, too.

heather said...

Well I read the article you wrote and the comments that replied to it. Its true your article was not objective to both sides of the argument, however, looking at the comments that you recieved you obviously have a valid point. It's true that not all rappers send out negative messages, but they are often overshadowed by the ones who do make bad choices. The comments that you have recieved give even more evidence that certain rappers are bad role models for children, mainly in the sense of bad grammar. I can hardly understand the messages that these children have left. They think its cool to skip class and disregard basic spelling and proper sentence structure. When it comes to "Lil Wayne" even his name is written improperly, and even if he was innocent "this" time, he uses his music to encourage bad behaviors including drug use, inapropriate sexual acts, and the use of violence and illegal activities as a means to get what you want out of life. 

I think that your article was very well written and the previous comments only add more evidence to support your claim. The readers obviously did not take anything that you said to mind, they care only for trying to support the bad behaviors of these individuals. Whether or not someone is a good singer or has a unique ability to make words rhyme, that does not prove that they are good and decent people.

realtalk123 said...
Ok I'm being honest here so don't get all mad and what not. I definetly get your point, but you're not taking other things into consideration. Things such as the fact that not every rapper in the world is a dirty, nasty thug. For the most part it's the parent's choice as to whether or not kids will be exposed to dirty rappers. I am a young black girl who listens to rap but I don't even consider doing any of the stereo types you presented above. That brings me to my next point. It also depends on the kid you're dealing with. If you're dealing with a kid who is out of control anyway, you're right, they shouldn't listen to much rough rap because they are obviously incapable of making consistant correct decisions. But if you're dealing with a respectable kid like me, I say you don't let them go over board but you let them have their fun. Parents need to know what type of kid they have in order to know what their kid should and shouldn't be exposed to.Also, It may not have been you're intension, but did you notice you named ALL black rappers. I'm pretty sure you're  caucasian and I have a feeling you're throwing the race card around a bit honey. Don't take it wrong though, I know you're probably not racist, but you should be aware that some people will easily take offense to you're article and the points you hit. (Only black artist Lil' Wayne and T.I.) You could've easily thrown in Eminem too because just like T.I has some influential songs so does he, but they both have some rough stuff. Some of the things you said also sets stereo types on the black race and to be honest I take a little offense to that even though I'm sure you didn't purposely do that. It kind of inferred that if kids listen to these rappers they will never be successful, but a perfect example to argue against that is me. I am black ,as I stated earlier, I listen to these rappers, yet I make mainly A's and a few B's and have never made anything below, not to mention I take two advanced placement courses. I play several sports, attend church, and serve my community. I plan to play sports at a nice college while also making outstanding grades. And soon  after I plan to be a Social Worker. Now ask yourself, do I sound like I'm going to be a failure? Food for thought.

Please yo name don't even make sense so don't talk Numbers and kjj And yo article was even dumber soo I think you need a life and on top of that I printed out your article and took it in as a Editoral... ha ha ha . my teacher even said it sucked. so depening on your age you might want to consider taking a creative writting class. oh and you got some attuitude I just was saying what had to be said. Misstywaterfall you are very smart for tellin this girl she need to hit the books about some rappers before she got anything to say about them.

74Kjj BRONZE said...
74Kjj BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
YES I WAS TALKING TO YOU AND THE GIRL ABOVE YOU, AND I DONT SEE NOTHING YOU WROTE ON HERE. WHY YOU HAVE TO COMMENT ON HERE ANYWAYS. I THINK YOU WAS JUST LONELY AND WANTED SOMEBODY TO TALK TO AND MS.BREZYTOFINE LOL LAMES NAME BY THE WAY !

misstywaterfall SILVER, N/a, Massachusetts

"if you dont understand my silence how will you understand my words"

were u talking to me??

Girl you don't know nothin about no lil wanyne you need to gone.

CMW709 SILVER said...
CMW709 SILVER, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Don't have a cow, just eat the burger.

You are so right about these kids letting rappers influence them, and considering them as role models. Just like you said most kids only want to be rappers or thugs, because it's the only way they see that they can make it. Seriously, what happened to kids wanting to be doctors, lawyers and firemen? I guess it all went down the drain like some of these rappers careers. I do think you should have said more about the rapper's lyrics and how they are corrupting the kids minds. You did an excellent job giving the facts, this was a good piece to read.

CMW709 SILVER said...
CMW709 SILVER, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Don't have a cow, just eat the burger.

You are so right about these kids letting rappers influence them, and considering them as role models. Just like you said most kids only want to be rappers or thugs, because it's the only way they see that they can make it. Seriously, what happened to kids wanting to be doctors, lawyers and firemen? I guess it all went down the drain like some of these rappers careers. I do think you should have said more about the rapper's lyrics and how they are c

CourtneyJayye SILVER, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game

I love your rapper role model speech. It really does happen, but Lil wayne and Boosie got theirselves into this mess. Kids watch and listen to everything.

74Kjj BRONZE said...
74Kjj BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Wow! thx a lot for the comment but i would like to say that this was a class project. Soooo thx i will take your words into consideration but mine your ;)

you dont even know...like have you ever listened to any rap songs no i dont thhink so and lil wayne is the best rapper alive and wat he went to jail for he was innocent get ur facts straight buddy :)