Love Story? | Teen Ink

Love Story?

By marisaleighxx GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York
marisaleighxx GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York

Have you ever watched a really corny chick flick, like Titanic, Pride and Prejudice or The Notebook? I watch these unrealistic movies craving to feel what these women feel when they’re in love. Their boyfriend will surprise them and they just fall deeper in love. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am in love with my boyfriend but sometimes, in school I’ll fantasize that my boyfriend will surprise me with something, it could be a simple note something stupid anything just to be a surprise that would make me happy. I also dream that I’m at home and he just shows up at my door because he missed me and wanted to see me, even though the entire time he’s been telling me we can’t hangout because he’s doing something or he doesn’t have a ride, I convince myself that he’s going to surprise me. These movies are like bugs that crawl into your brain throughout the movie subliminally lay eggs that will eventually hatch awful ideas of what your love life will be like just because you watched these optimistic movies on love. But the fact of the matter is that men don’t watch these movies and in real life don’t act the way Jack did when he was fighting for Rose’s love; It’s unrealistic. Sure, in the beginning everything is going to be perfect, every little thing surprises you but as time goes on and emotions grow those surprises fizzle out and you both grow comfortable with each other, and fights start occurring and you both start doubting eachother and tension grows. P.s. I Love You didn’t prepare me for the fear of the unknown, of not knowing if this fight is going to make or break my relationship. I feel cheated all thanks to Hollywood and their idea of love.