Stupid Society | Teen Ink

Stupid Society

By workingwriter BRONZE, Zachary, Louisiana
workingwriter BRONZE, Zachary, Louisiana

Stupid Society

One thing that this society is perpetually yearning for is entertainment. As our technology advances we begin to scour even more for that entertainment. Entertainers, like Miley Cyrus, are inclined to do just about anything to give that dissipation. In Miley’s new video known as “Wrecking Ball, Miley is exhaustively nude. If you think back to ten years ago, a video like this would never be customary. Instead, Miley is receiving not only tons of money, but tons of praise. Many people do not think it is a big deal because entertainers have created videos like this before. Also, people accredit that the symbolism that Miley is trying to give by being nude justifies why someone might think what she is doing is wrong. The video is, as we speak, covering the internet and television and anyone can descry it including small children. Is this really what we want to congest the minds of the future generation with? So why is it that there are laws restricting public nudity when there are so many indecorous things that can be seen by just going on the internet which is used by billions of people every day? Videos like this should at least be censored and protected. Society is becoming so lenient and accepting of things that, ten years ago, would never be approved any anyone. The people who are against this are doing nothing to get it removed from social media. It’s time for us to stand up for what is right and secure the minds of the future generation. This may mean that the government would have to come in and censor the internet and television. Some people might have the opinion that censoring the television or the internet is a way of taking away our rights, but the government already censors some television. For example, some words are not allowed to be said, and some scenes cannot be excised so that the program is more appropriate for the audience. What the government censors on the television and the internet has been altered over the years. This obviously shows that what our society and the majority of the people believe is okay has an effect on what is protected and what is not. So before you begin to think you have no power to change this generation, think again.