Nuclear energy over Carbon? | Teen Ink

Nuclear energy over Carbon?

By pengy1 BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
pengy1 BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

In an era where climate change impacts the globe, and the urgent need for sustainable energy sources is undeniable, the debate on the best alternative to fossil fuels has intensified. While renewable energy sources like solar and wind power have gained significant attention, one solution often overlooked is nuclear energy. ​​Despite the controversy surrounding it, nuclear power offers a clean and reliable alternative to carbon-emitting fossil fuels. It's high time we recognized the potential of nuclear energy in mitigating climate change and creating a sustainable future.

One of the most compelling arguments in favour of nuclear energy is its ability to generate electricity without producing greenhouse gas emissions. Unlike fossil fuels, nuclear reactors do not release carbon dioxide or other harmful pollutants into the atmosphere during the generation of electricity. In 2022, the US generated 390 metric tons of CO2 per million kWh[1], not to mention byproducts that does not include CO2. By substituting fossil fuel-based power plants with nuclear reactors, we can significantly reduce carbon emissions, curbing the devastating effects of climate change.

Many worry about the radioactive waste from using uranium as a fuel source. These wastes can remain harmful to humans for thousands of years. However, the quantity of such wastes are so little, it is negligible. Since 1954 to 2016, some 390,000 tonnes of spent fuel were generated from the whole world[2]. Compare that to the 1650 million tonnes of CO2 emissions just in 2022 US. Furthermore, 95% total nuclear waste are “Very Low Level Waste” or “Low Level Waste”[3] meaning that they do not cause much environmental or human harm.

While safety concerns surrounding nuclear energy are valid, technological advancements have significantly improved reactor designs and safety protocols. Including “diverse and redundant barriers and safety systems”, “testing and maintenance activities”, and “large area surrounding a nuclear power plant is restricted and guarded by armed security teams”[4], these all help to prevent any sort of attacks and failure in the power plant. As there is a large area between civilians and the power plant, the effects of any nuclear accidents will be minimal.

As we confront the pressing challenges of climate change and the need for clean energy, nuclear power emerges as a compelling solution. Its ability to produce electricity without emitting greenhouse gases, coupled with its minimal waste and safety features, makes nuclear energy a viable alternative to carbon-emitting fossil fuels. By embracing nuclear power alongside renewable sources, we can build a sustainable energy future, without sacrificing too much of the current technology as we know it. It's time to recognize the potential of nuclear energy in Hong Kong too and foster a balanced energy strategy that combines the best of both nuclear and renewable technologies.

Hello, we’re a group of year 11 (Maxwell Yu Miller, Ian Park, Jin Choi, Yu Jun Peng) students from South Island School(SIS) doing a community project which involves raising awareness of the environmental issues regarding carbon emissions. We would like to write an opinionated article in your news on the subject of “Nuclear energy over Carbon?” to remove the stigma of the exaggerated dangers of nuclear energy, compared to carbon emmisions. 

millem4 said...
on Jan. 14 at 8:15 am
millem4, Hong Kong, Other
Inspiring!

pengy1 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 14 at 1:30 am
pengy1 BRONZE, Hong Kong, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Amazing!