What to Do About Energy | Teen Ink

What to Do About Energy

By spenbo BRONZE, Manchester, Missouri
spenbo BRONZE, Manchester, Missouri

Why do people in the world use energy like it is from an unlimited source? These days, people around the globe consume energy without thinking about where it comes from, how much of it is left, and if they actually need to be using it. Now, so-called proponents rave that they are “going green!” Are they really going green? Maybe they are just trying to provide a better image for themselves or for their company. “Going Green” is looked at as helping the earth, but in some cases, the people who claim they are “going green” continue to pollute the earth.

Al Gore constantly argues that Americans should be more environmental friendly and be more efficient with energy usage. Gore says, “While individual efforts such as changing to low-energy light bulbs are important, it is more significant for world leaders to change laws to stop pollution pouring into the atmosphere and affecting the climate”(The Sun). Little do people know that he owns a jet in which he flies around in to go where and when he wants, three huge mansions, and has a huge media lifestyle. Does he really care about the Earth? He, like most people, look for the attention, perks, and the gratitude of “going green”. People look at him as a spokesperson for going green, but in all reality, he is one of the worst candidates for the job!
For example, car companies keep coming out with their new hybrid and fuel efficient cars. The idea of helping the environment is great, but at what cost? How much energy does it take to make these cars? If they truly wanted to go green, wouldn’t they try to eliminate polluting the earth and energy usage they have of their own? They must have to think about how every time a car they make is turned on, energy is consumed. “In fact, according to a new study by CNW Marketing Research in Bandon, Ore., the Hummer H3, in terms of dust-to-dust energy costs, equates to $1.95 per mile—while the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid are almost $3.30 per mile”(CNW). The reasoning for this is because the Prius is made overseas, which have to be transported to different countries around the world, the new technology that needed to be made, and carbon parts are used, which cost more.
Do people really think of the entire process, or do they think of what they see, which is the final product? Sure the Hummer uses more fuel, but will that amount to what it really costs for the Prius to be made? Double-Think states, “When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’ arch nemesis.” That is the statistic that most people refuse to see.

But, wait there’s more! Many people waste energy in different ways. Can you guess? When people leave a room in their house, they often: leave the lights on, disregard turning the television off, leave the computer/laptop on, or leave the stereo playing. These are small things that just contribute to the losses of energy. “After a recent study, 4 out of every 10 Americans leave there TV on when they leave the room and 5 out of every ten Americans leave their lights on when they leave the room”(Flabindore) Is this a good thing? This goes to show that Americans are irresponsible and not witty! It is outrageous that people would be that arrogant when it comes to keeping the environment healthy and clean. Is it because they are arrogant or is it because they are lazy? In all honesty it doesn’t matter which one it is, but it’s probably both.
Next time you think about buying a car or turning something on, think about what is happening. Do I need to use this? Does it have to be this car? What are the consequences for leaving this on this long? All of these questions should be asked and then executed. Always remember that this Earth is not just yours; It’s the people’s from the past, the present, and the future.

I wrote this piece because I am very pasionate about helping the earth and making it a better place!