Earth Summit | Teen Ink

Earth Summit

By ellennie GOLD, Toronto, Other
ellennie GOLD, Toronto, Other

1) Every composer knows the anguish and despair occasioned by forgetting ideas which one had no time to write down.
- Hector Berliotz
and i had another one.. but theres not enough room :(

No one really quite sure how the universe began, although there are many theories, the most common of these being the big bang. This suggests that the universe was once contained is a very small area, thousands of times smaller than the head of a pin, and this compressed space erupted, about 14 billion years ago, into millions of galaxies, many of which merged into bigger galaxies, creating the universe as we know it.

To go into more detail, these galaxies were formed by the universe cooling and gravity pulling many stars and star materials together to form clumps that we now recognize as galaxies, such as our own Milky Way galaxy. It is in this galaxy that all the action happened. About four point six billion years ago, a sun and an Earth formed. Let’s focus on the Earth. This was not like the Earth we know today. This inhospitable planet had no water, no oxygen, no ozone layer, no life. This planet had to make some major changes. And miraculously, it did.

Four billion years ago single-celled organisms appeared on the earth. No one is really sure how they got there. These organisms evolved into sea monsters of the deep, and eventually, about 425,000,000 years ago, the first land animals, the Arthropods. Continents shifted and the dinosaurs came and went, the earliest known bird, Archaeopteryx, took flight, and about 70 million years ago, modern land mammals were sighted.

Many people believe that the extinction of the dinosaurs came about by a large comet hitting Central America, creating the Gulf of Mexico. This is another scientific mystery that has many likely theories. But in every ending there is a new beginning. The age of dinosaurs was over but the age of mammals had barely begun.

4,000,000 years ago Africa saw the first signs of human life. Ape-like hominids appeared on the continent. Soon after, Australopithecus made the first tools, Homo Hablius walked upright; Homo Erectus discovered fire, and Homo Sapiens reach Europe and North America.

Humans began to accumulate technology. They began to grow crops, raise animals for their meat. Human knowledge of technology may have been the worst thing that ever happened to our planet. Earth was pretty much in balance though, until the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century. Our problems continued from there and unless we have the will to change our lives will continue to roll downhill.

As you can see, we have come so far, but have so much further to come. Technology has brought our species into the light but it also will be our downfall. We need to preserve our planet in ways bigger than just turning off a light. Tell your neighbours, family, friends, do a local demonstration, raise funds, make a difference.

We are the generation of renewal. We are the ones with the power to change our world. WE are the people that must make the right decisions. And we will. I have faith in you all. Each one of us can make a difference in our own lives, in our own way. We are the agents of change.