What Is Love? | Teen Ink

What Is Love?

By Marieomari BRONZE, Malakoff, Texas
Marieomari BRONZE, Malakoff, Texas

None but ourselves can free our minds.

What does it mean to love?  Love is a word that is thrown around too much so it’s lost its actual meaning. I'm too young to understand it but I know what it’s supposed to mean and how you supposed to show it. I've been let down so many times during my life, that love isn’t in my vocabulary anymore. My dad walked out of my life and he doesn’t want to call or even answer whenever we want to talk to him. I'm not putting all the blame in him but all the hurt and anger I have inside of me  is because of him and his broken promises. My mom I know she loves me but sometimes it’s hard to believe that because to her I'm always a disappointment and that's on me because I don’t do right but I don't see the point in it if all that's gonna happen is that the next day something worse is gonna happen. Love don’t come easy and trust doesn’t either. I trusted so many people and got hurt in the long run and so many people told me they loved me of course I believed them. Did everything they wanted and made a huge fool of myself. I stopped loving myself but every now and then i get some kind of confidence in me.  My favorite quote is by Bob Marley and it says “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts.” But yet i keep all my thoughts and feelings hidden and unknown to the world, I lock myself up in this little box so I don’t feel pain or feel disappointment. In my mind I'm thinking hurt them before they hurt you, but doing that got me in a predicament that I can’t get out of but for what cost. The cost of being alone and never being happy with myself until all my thoughts become so out of control that my whole life is based over what i think verses what I feel and that never leads to good things in life because I never thought that my heart would be so damaged but yet  still be able to love so much. Until the day I met someone who made me realize that life is always going to be full of all kinds of bumps and that it takes one person who truly loves you make you realize that love is not only a feeling it's also something so raw that every morning you wake up you life revolves around that one person and that person will become your will to live in a world so cold but you’ll feel so warm that even the most cruelest person will not ruin your day and now that i said all that i had to say about love the rest is up to you and your decision is based off of what your heart feels not what your brain tells you so stop thinking so much about it and just go for it because the more you think about it the more you start to doubt it. As Bob marley says, “None but ourselves can free our minds.”  So in your own words what does love mean to you and how does it make you feel on a daily basis and think carefully about the answer to that question because love can either make you or break you down to the last bone in your body and you'll know then that happens because you won't be able to think sleep or eat without feeling nothing but pain in your chest from where it feels as if your heart has been ripped out of your chest for the longest time ever. But love is also so beautiful that it'll feel as if your heart was filled with nothing but happiness was thrown at you and you’ll know it’s love by the way you feel if you hear their name or if you constantly think about that person on a  daily basis, or when they text your face lights up like a light bulb. I ask you once more what is love? As a test tonight ask yourself multiple times and then right down your answer on a piece of paper or your notes on your phone and answer this question in your own words.