Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

estrellad12 BRONZE, Roxbury, Massachusetts

i'd rather be lonely, instead of being sorrounded by someone who might hurt me.

I think that anyone has the ability to find true love .But , it takes time to trust a person therefore you have to take your time to get to know them before you make any decisions. If you dont then, one of them is going to make a mistake ..

purple_madie said...
purple_madie, Indian Trail, North Carolina

"That which does not destroy us will only make us stronger"

Love can happen at anytime and point in a person's life. You could be 6, 16, or 60 when you find the one person you're meant to be with. And hey the younger you are whn you find true love, the luckier you are because you get to spend even more time with the other half of your heart than others might. Love is love after all. How do you put an age, limit, or boundary on the strongest emotion ever created?

TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."

---William W. Purkey

This whole things is a chicken and egg question cause lets face it, true love is serious and there really is no defination or time for it. However, i dont really like teenage love for they are not always true. As for me, I see love every where. A mother helps her kid: Love..... A dog wags his tale: Love. there really is nothing without it.

SecretlyCoy BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
This isn't an area you can be objective in, is it? It is an abstract thought.

Love is not something you can measure by age. Love just... happens. We can fall in love when we are 14, or we can fall in love when we are 80, it all depends on who you are and how you are with the other person. Personally, I love love. Its so confusing, but its beautiful :)

ladylove said...
yup.. i agree to that because my parents didn't really believe that teenage love exist. me and my first boyfriend where going on one year and it is so strong.. when we have misunderstanding we didn't fight much but then we talk about it..

lady28 said...
yup its true.. i've been there too. :))

katiebeth___ SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

Que sera, sera.:)

i think that you can fall in love at any age, whether your twelve or ninety-nine. Love isn't a number, it's not a concept, it's something that happens between two people that truly care about each other. Mostly it is formed from people who were friends before. love isn't an age, as i said, it's simply a force of nature that no one can resist.:)

uhilu25 BRONZE said...
uhilu25 BRONZE, Austin, Texas

i am not bound to win,but i am bound to be true.i am not bound to succeed,but bound to live up to what light i have. -abraham lincon

i belive that teenage love is an unhealthy habbit we have so much more to worry about ...im not saying it shouldnt happen cause i know people can carry on in life and marry their high school sweethearts but it should be avoided.in my opinion

cyra_baby said...
i believe in teenage love!! :)))))

A-Nonymous said...
This is really well written. I completely agree with your thoughts: love does suck sometimes, and people need to realize that age is just a number; it's not something that makes you who you are.

morgan_e SILVER, Callaway, Florida

Live life to the fullest.

I belive that teenagers do find love in high school. I am almost seventeen years old and my boyfriend and I plan on getting married when we turn eighteen. We really do love each other. We have already talked about marriage and things like that. We would be lost without each other in each of our lives. So i do believe that teenagers are capable of finding love in high school. It is a misconception that they cant.

Lily1 SILVER said...
Lily1 SILVER, Carbondale, Illinois

“Like you, its true treasure etched within.”-One Night With The King

I believe that people do confuse love and lust. I believe God is love, what about you?

luvdance said...
thanks for responding. My parents are SUPER strict and all they care about are grades and wanting me to be perfect it seems and it stinks. I wish they could be more understanding and I HAVE tried talkign to them about me not being able to do everything perfect and that I want to live my life too but it just seems like I can't do anything right and they don't want me to be associated with guys or whatever.. Any more advice??? =/

You should try to tell your parents how you feel about the guy and then see if they will let you at least invite him over.

I believe in true love in high school. What the problem with getting it is that most people become a distraction and it takes away from the relationship sometimes damaging it.

I'm in high school and its not all that its cracked up to be hun. Trust me. The classes are harder and everyone judges you.

luvdance said...
I bet love exists in high school!!!

i can't wait till high school yayay! just 1 more year. But what am i supposed to do when my parents don't think i should date till i'm like 18. What if they don't let me. I've had a boyfriend but my parents are so strict and overprotective that I couldn't see him outside of school and it ruined our relationship!!! someone help me!!!

(Paige) BRONZE said...
(Paige) BRONZE, Franklin, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Love can happen to the best, or worst, of people, no matter their age. Most high school, or younger, relationships begin with lust, but can blossom and grow into the true love you see happily married sixty-seven year old couples have for each other.

My boyfriend of two years and I met when we were both twelve. We have only broken up a couple of times over the past year(s). We have been through tough struggles, which may have made us have a stronger connection than other couples our age. No, I'm not talking about girl drama or one of us liking another person.

He got into an ATV accident last year that killed the other boy he hit head-on. My boyfriend was in the hospital for three weeks and was in a neck brace for three months. Less than a month before that, my father had OD-ed on pills and alcohol and almost died.

Those events may have made us grow stronger and closer together than if we hadn't gone through them at all. I don't know for sure, but I do know that true love does exist. My relationship is pure proof. :)

FlamableFyre DIAMOND, Spartanburg, South Carolina

I don't have ambitions or desires.
Being a poet isn't my ambition,
it's my way of being alone.
~ Fernando Pessoa ~

i believe that teenage love is possible, too. in fact, i believe im in love. i have had one other real boyfriend other than the one i have now. this is the thrid time ive gone out with the one i have now. the other one took my heart and broke it, and the boyfriend i have now was there to steal my heart and fix it. he saved me when my world was falling apart, how could i not love him

i do believe teenage love exsists i am not in love but i do believe my best friend is in love

escapeing-thoughts, Fort Wayne, Indiana

If the world had a beating heart it wouldnt judge a person by there skin color, looks or who they are. It wouldnt judge an animals by being an animal. Were all simply the same to the Earth. (this is my quote.)

yes, I have fallen in love. Some say it sucks and it does. Some people think they are in love only when it is strong like. Love is hard to explain and hard to get out of. Im not with the person Im in love with because they are no good. But im with someone better. Love does suck sometimes and exsits in everyone, any age. Age is just a number, and gender is just an other label to judge. And one can fall madly in love no matter how they look, how they act, what they say, what they read, how old or young they are or even by the grade there in.