Love is blind...Or is it? | Teen Ink

Love is blind...Or is it?

All my life I have heard Shakespeare's infamous quote, "Love is blind," but as I grow older and view the culture and society around me, I am beginning to wonder just how much truth there is to this saying. It seems like today love is determined by the conditions that society puts on it. People of certain religions, races, status, or amount of wealth should not be together by some of society's standards... If love was truly blind, would any of these things matter? Instead, we are faced with the consequences of looks on a daily basis. For instance, I heard a statistic a few days ago that if you have flourescent white teeth, you are more likely to be hired for a job, be offered more money for a job, and be asked on a second date. As if this has anything to do with one's abilities to fulfil the duties of a job or make a date enjoyable. I also see the girls in class pouring over fashion magazines saying, "If only I could look like that..." The reason? To find someone who will find them attractive enough to date. Where are the qualities that matter? Whatever happened to personality? My guess is that it was burnt up with that last batch of bleach applied to their hair, or vomitted up with their last meal because it had just too many calories. It never ceases to amaze me how many people I see enter into destructive relationships for no other reason than to have someone for their looks, or money, or status. If someone does not have the capacity to see past all of those things to the person within, what good is it anyway? They say that when you lose one sense, the others become stronger. In the case of love, losing sight may be the best thing that could happen.

The inner workings of society and the mentality of its members are truely fascinating to me. I spend countless hours observing and analyzing what I see in its strengths and weaknesses. This opinion article is just one example of that. I hope someone finds it enlightening.

HumbleBee SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
This is well written and very truthful! The part about the qualities being burnt up with bleach and omitted with their last meal is such a beautifully structured and figurative sentence. I love the ending, too! Great work!

Maddie17 BRONZE, Gulf Shores, Alabama

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it's yours. If it doesn't come back, it was never yours to begin with." ~ Victor Hugo

Wow. Nicely said! I have to agree with you. ^^