What Adults Don't Understand | Teen Ink

What Adults Don't Understand

My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

ILYSME said...
ILYSME, Seattle, Washington

I don't lie because lying is a cowardly move. It takes courage to tell the truth

I agree. I'm not saying there isn't teen love, but I believe most teen/high school relationships don't share mutual love. eyes-on-fire made a good point as well.

-Duckie- GOLD said...
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

Your heart is a weapon the size of your fist. Keep fighting. Keep loving.
-Anonymous

Don't rain on the joy! just because things went wrong for you (and me) does not mean that the same things will happen to Lysa. good luck to you both

-Duckie- GOLD said...
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

-Anonymous

I think NinaQ was more refering to those teens who are with someone new each time you turn around, and are all like "OMG I LOOOOOVE 'EM SO MUCH" about everybody. And I agree with that.

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
I think adults think the way they do is becasue they are kind of right. I mean teens are one day with a person and next week with an other, so i think that they could be right, partially

UnwantedNinja GOLD, Pretoria, Other

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

will do :)

-Duckie- GOLD said...
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

-Anonymous

Thanks! check out my work?

UnwantedNinja GOLD, Pretoria, Other

Walt Disney

Sweet qoute lol !!!

yaythisisavailable GOLD, Simpsonville, South Carolina
I'm fifteen and I'm in love with this guy, you really don't have a place to say that teenagers can't be in love. We have just the same amount of emotion as you people, maybe we seem too immature to love. Just because we don't meet at a bar or in church does not mean the person we are with doesn't love us. Most of the time teenage love doesn't last because we are scared. Adults are just stupid.

you're my new role model :)

KC <3's JS said...
Well what if we don't use I love you enough? We'll regret it, well wish we said it one more time to that one person, well never forgive ourselves... What is wrong with saying I Love You, there are so many different meanings like there's saying it to a friend and then there's saying it to a guy you're truly in love with... What is wrong with, "I Love You"?

-Duckie- GOLD said...
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

-Anonymous

I believe that teenagers do fall in love... we just have more trouble identifying love as compared to lust, and thus adults think we are dumb kids who don't know what love is.

Dumbledore said "Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth", and he's awesome. And old.

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
i only have to say one thing: what idiots think that there is  an age limit on an emotion? that's like saying teens can't get depressed or stressed out or happy. 

HERE WEEEEEEE GO TO YOUNG ;''',./.,/.,THATS I LIE.......AND IM PASS FROM THINKNN IM N LOVE I KNOWWW IAM,I WAS N LOVE WEN I WAS 12 YEARS OLD.....IAM 15 NOW AND IAM STILL WITH DA SAME PERSON N HAPPY N LOVE

Grownup said...
on Sep. 9 2011 at 9:13 am
You children don't know what love is. Your all too busy wrapped up in your hipp hop fasion crazes.

happyboat SILVER, Tacoma, Washington

"Risks, I like to say, always pay off. You learn what to do, and what not to do." -Jonas Salk

some know for sure. I did. 

JzOmBiE said...
JzOmBiE, Long Beach, Mississippi
i personally belive,(in my own opinion of course) that maybe adults just dont see how we could know what it is yet. some adults tho however know what its like to be a kid and be in love, but thats because their old fashioned and dont understand, but noone should underestimate a teen and their emotions C:

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all--
Into each life some rain must fall,
some days must be dark and dreary.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

Adults should lay off about whether teens know "love" or not. We all have different ideas of love--love's not the same for every couple. And most teens DO know, it's just that the teens who say "I'm sooooooo in love with him/her" the second after they get into a relationship give all teens a bad rap.

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

Totally agree NinaQ.

misswindsor BRONZE, Collingdale, Pennsylvania

"What Fresh Hell is this?"

OMG, here we go again with the whole, can teenager really know what love is argument. Wanna know what I think? I think that this is just one of the many topics where you will have people that agree or disagree with you. The answer to this topic is very easy. Me, I would say that we do know what luv is, but thats just me. Other people might not agree. I think everyone has a different answer to this question. Some people think no and others think yes. It depends on how you were raise. If your parents told you that teenagers don't know what luv is or if U have never experience luv in high school then your answer would be no, but if u did experience wat luv is then ur answer would be yes.

HaleyDRog. GOLD, Easley, South Carolina

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on. -Robert Frost

Yeah, you're right about that. I was just stating my opinion.