Sandra Oh's Second Golden Globe! | Teen Ink

Sandra Oh's Second Golden Globe!

By Jayliu4 BRONZE, Vancouver, Columbia
Jayliu4 BRONZE, Vancouver, Columbia

”On days I hate being myself, days I want to disappear forever
Let's make a door in your heart
Open the door and this place will await
It's okay to believe, the Magic Shop will comfort you”
BTS (Magic Shop)

Sandra Oh Wins Two Golden Globes

On January 6, 2019, Sandra Miju Oh was the host of the Golden Globes ceremony with Andy Samberg at The Beverly Hilton, Beverly Hills, California, United States. Sandra Oh is a well-known Korean Canadian actor that has been in many TV drama series before. This year, she won the Golden Globes for her amazing part in "Killing Eve," written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Although Golden Globes are hard to win, this wasn’t her first time winning a Golden Globe. In 2006, She won her first Golden Globe for her part in the hit TV drama series“Grey’s Anatomy”. The Golden Globes are awards that recognize outstanding performances in film or television. Each year, 18 Golden Globes are given out by the 93 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. 

There are many things important about this topic. Such as, Asian awareness and cultural representation. Last year was the year for Asians all around the world. We had many things that were done to represent our culture. First of all, we had a movie dedicated to our culture called “Crazy Rich Asians” directed by Jonathan Murray Chu. Then we had a korean boy band named “BTS” talking in the unicef project. They were spreading their “Love Yourself” campaign to represent how important it is to truly love yourself. Kim Namjoon their leader, prepared a nine minute speech in English to represent their “love yourself” campaign in front of United Nations. Then we had a Asian female lead in a Netflix original movie called “To all the boys I loved before” played by Lana Condor. This is all important to us including Sandra’s win because we are getting more cultural acceptance in society. As Asians ourselves, we feel like Sandra’s win as the first asian awarded two golden globes is a reward and appreciation to us. We would like 2019 to be another year for us Asians.

hello, my name is Jay. I have many things in life that make me happy, and Sandra Oh winning her second award was one of them!