Kids Cover Your Eyes!! | Teen Ink

Kids Cover Your Eyes!!

June 1, 2009
By Samantha Hammes BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Samantha Hammes BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sitting there watching your favorite soap opera when the fairly attractive single man is in a desperate time of need, when a commercial pops up. Do you really pay attention to the ads you see on TV because I sure don’t. Sure there is a new high tech lawn mower that could improve your health if you call in the next 2 minutes, but really? All that these commercials are doing is limiting your brain from knowledge. Except a few that catch one’s attention (probably not for a good reason) because they either have inappropriate adult products or things most kids haven’t even learned about yet. These kinds of TV advertisements or shows are ruining the kids of the world’s mind, and wasting our precious soap opera time.

By having Kathy and Jim fool around while advertising a new adult play product, during a break of a kid’s favorite TV show who knows what kids are thinking. These kids don’t even know that this is bad because they grew up with it. Just like growing up with your parents telling you to say please and thank you, kids are growing up with unmonitored TV ads. Our world’s commercials and shows are getting way to racy, and we should go back to the old days when all you saw on TV was your grandma’s cookie recipe.

26% of today’s TV watchers pay more attention to the commercials than the TV show they were originally watching. Some of this percent is 12 and younger year old kids. Commercials today include high end watches trying to be sold by having two men wear them, and then start fooling around. By now not only did you see the watch but you have seen stuff that you didn’t want to see in the first place. Most likely kids will think this is normal behavior for people and not think twice about it.

Imagine you niece, nephew, neighbor, kid, or just friend, growing up thinking that it was alright to go around in belly shirts and walk in to a random guys house, just because a Disney channel character did it. Shows on TV are teaching kids that things that were once frowned upon are now the right thing to do. On channels that are supposed to be watched by kids and adolescents there shouldn’t be shows that have 20 year old actors pretending to be 15 and kiss the first guy or girl they see. Sure maybe they couldn’t find a 15 year old actor that fit the part, but the producers should have to make the show at least age appropriate.

Some advertisements may be saying don’t do drugs, however they are showing a guy smoke a drug right in front of all his friends. What if this tells kids that if you do it in front of your friends it’s not alright but any were else it is fine. If these commercials really want adolescents to stop doing drugs then maybe they should not show how to take a drug… just a hint.

Like looking up to elders’ kids are going to advice from the TV. When polled on topics talked about with parents, 46% of kids knew more about standard health topics from a TV show then they knew from their parents. This may show that many kids still talk to their parents about health related topics, but many are getting this from shows they saw on TV. However more than half of the kids that don’t talk to their parents about this stuff did not even have the correct information!

Next time you are watching your favorite soap opera moment and a scandalous commercial or show takes its place, take a moment to think about how many kids are listening intently to what is being said and keeping note in their mind for future use. Getting more disgraceful by the day TV shows and commercials are polluting future leaders and workers of the world minds’.