Netflix is watching you: A Black Mirror review | Teen Ink

Netflix is watching you: A Black Mirror review

In the digital age, smartphones have become an indispensable part of our lives. These devices serve as gateways to a vast array of information and communication, offering convenience and connectivity like never before. However, this convenience comes at a price - the erosion of our privacy. In this essay, we will explore how our smartphones have turned into powerful surveillance tools, constantly monitoring our activities, both with our knowledge and without it. From location tracking to data collection, we will dissect the extent to which our phones are always watching. So, in the first episode of Black Mirror season six the relationship between our phone and what is monitored is explored.

Our phones are constantly collecting data from us, often without our explicit consent. Companies and app developers track our every move, building comprehensive profiles that allow them to deliver targeted advertisements. Through location data, browsing history, and app usage, they gather an immense amount of personal information. Even seemingly innocuous apps can access our contacts, photos, and messages, further compromising our privacy. This data collection not only invades our personal space but also poses potential risks of data breaches and identity theft.

One of the most concerning aspects of smartphone surveillance is the constant tracking of our whereabouts. Through GPS technology, our phones continuously transmit our location data to service providers and third-party applications. While this feature can be useful for navigation or location-based recommendations, it raises significant privacy concerns. Our daily routines, travel patterns, and even our favorite hangout spots are all stored and analyzed, creating a comprehensive record of our lives. Furthermore, this data can be accessed by law enforcement agencies, raising questions about the balance between security and personal privacy.

The rise of social media platforms has further intensified the monitoring of our online activities. Every post, like, comment, and share leaves a digital footprint, meticulously tracking our preferences, opinions, and social connections. Social media companies use this information to tailor content and advertisements to our interests, creating echo chambers and filter bubbles. Moreover, these platforms are not immune to data breaches, as seen in high-profile incidents, where user data has been exposed, compromising privacy on a massive scale.

Our smartphones have become powerful tools that connect us to the world, but they also expose us to constant surveillance. Whether through data collection, location tracking, or social media monitoring, our phones have become extensions of the surveillance state. While some argue that these measures are necessary for enhanced security and personalized experiences, the erosion of privacy raises concerns about the balance between convenience and freedom. As technology continues to advance, it is crucial for individuals and societies to grapple with these challenges, ensuring that our rights to privacy and autonomy are not compromised in an increasingly monitored world.

Essentially all forms of media monitor us and the content that we watch. Hence why if you watch a certain series, for example Netflix starts recommending you series that are similar to that series. The legality of this is hard to question since when we subscribe to any form of media or click “Accept” to the terms and conditions of Netflix it’s difficult to walk back on the terms even though you had no idea what they meant, because you had already clicked, “Accept.”

"Joan is Awful” aimed to delve into the intricacies of this episode, examining its themes, narrative structure, and the social commentary it offers."Joan is Awful" follows the life of Joan, a young woman living in a world where people are constantly rated by their peers on social media platforms. The episode portrays a society where a person's worth is determined by their online rating, dictating their opportunities, relationships, and overall quality of life. Joan's obsession with maintaining a high rating leads her down a dangerous path, as she becomes increasingly desperate to please others and maintain her online persona.

The episode sheds light on several thought-provoking themes, including the dangers of social media obsession, the loss of individuality, and the impact of technology on human relationships. "Joan is Awful" serves as a cautionary tale, warning viewers about the potential consequences of a society driven by superficial validation and constant surveillance.

The episode's narrative structure is compelling, as it captures the audience's attention from the very beginning. It skillfully combines suspense, drama, and a touch of dark humor, taking viewers on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. The pacing is methodical, gradually intensifying the tension as Joan's life spirals out of control. The climax is both shocking and thought-provoking, leaving a lasting impact on the audience.

"Joan is Awful" serves as a scathing critique of our society's increasing reliance on social media and the obsession with public approval. By exaggerating the consequences of a rating-based system, the episode highlights the potential dangers of reducing human worth to a mere number. It prompts viewers to reflect on the impact of technology on our lives and the erosion of genuine human connections in the pursuit of online validation.

Furthermore, the episode examines the loss of individuality in a society driven by conformity. Joan's desperate attempts to please others and maintain a high rating showcase the pressures individuals face when societal norms dictate their every action. This raises important questions about the value of authenticity and the importance of staying true to oneself.

"Joan is Awful," a captivating episode of Black Mirror, offers a chilling glimpse into a future where our worth is determined by online ratings. Through its compelling narrative, the episode serves as a poignant social commentary on the dangers of social media obsession, loss of individuality, and the impact of technology on human relationships. It serves as a stark reminder to critically examine the role of technology in our lives and strive for a balance between online and offline interactions.

Rahmat Asuni is an avid writer and researcher who enjoys writing essays in order to inspire others.