Title: A revival of Jazz all by Laufey: Bewitched's enchanting music | Teen Ink

Title: A revival of Jazz all by Laufey: Bewitched's enchanting music

March 15, 2024
By Anonymous

Only 48 minutes long, but has reached over 240 million streams in less than a year. Bewitched, an album by Laufey, released in 2023. A wonderful album experience for non Jazz lovers. With the genre of Jazz, Bewitched delicately details falling in love to heartbreaking moments, moving on and a special reminiscence of the past. Sitting at 48 minutes long, Bewitched has 9 tracks in total.  Her first album only came out a year before, and she has already speedily gained a large following.

In an interview about the album Laufey explained, “This is a love album, whether it be a love towards a friend or a lover or life.” From her songs  “Haunted” and "From The Start” to "Bewitched”, Laufey writes out a sappy little love story, one filled with flustered moments and beating hearts. This album shows Laufey leaning a lot more into what makes her who she is as she stated in an interview, “I’m composing for the first time in it. And, I’m leaning more into my jazz and classical roots — leaning more into the things that make me, me.” 

However, this album doesn’t just talk about love. The song “A Letter to My 13 Year old Self" takes the theme of love, and transforms it into something personal. This song details all the things Laufey wishes she could tell her younger self. “I wish I could go back and give her a squeeze, Myself at 13, And just let her know, know that she's beautiful.”, a direct quote from the song. Along with this, Laufey expresses in an interview with ELLE magazine, “I just wanted to give my younger self a hug and tell her it was all going to be okay.”

Laufey's use of violin and harp strung along with piano, that she plays herself, create a golden hour. Laufey's work with instruments and emotions is euphoric. No song in this album leaves you disappointed or expecting more. While many may think they do not like Jazz, Laufey’s ability to encapsulate vivid emotions into 3 minute songs is an experience everyone should go through, her creations might just bring out a new jazz loving side of you from her album Bewitched

Amazingly, Laufey has recently won a Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album of the year on Bewitched. Her music has reached more than thousands of people, with her 24 million monthly Spotify listeners. Her ability to create something so personal and detailed encaptures the feelings she wishes to express perfectly. Bewitched is an album that resurrects jazz. An album that shows Jazz is for everyone. Without having been in love, I feel like I've experienced it. Bewitched has bewitched me.


The author's comments:

The reason I chose to do a music review was because of my connection to the album I wrote about. I listen to Laufey every single day, she has this ability to uplift my mood no matter what happens. No matter what song I listen to, I find myself entranced, even when the song is supposed to be sad. When writing mock reviews on typical review types, I felt like my music review was the best. I was able to visualize exactly what I wanted to convey. It was easy for me to write in detail and to paint a picture. I love talking about Laufey in general so I knew a fair amount about this album to begin with. For the most part writing this review wasn’t very difficult. When I'm passionate about a subject I’m able to go on and on about it, which proved to work well for this review. The only hard part when I was writing was making sure there were more objective facts than subjective opinions throughout the review. Since I have such a positive view of this album naturally I want to say good things about it. Luckily for me Laufey has done many interviews about her album Bewitched, giving me lots of objective facts I could put in my writing. Through our studying of other reviews I understood what was most important to have in a review and how to structure the review best for reading. I also did my own research by reading other reviews of this album and took what I thought was best and implemented into my review.