The Buzz About Twilight | Teen Ink

The Buzz About Twilight

By Molly Glick SILVER, Short Hills, New Jersey
Molly Glick SILVER, Short Hills, New Jersey

'I envy anyone with rainbow
knee socks. I can't find any!'

I'd like to address to buzz about Twilight with my sincere opinion.
I find the book and movie disgusting, bland, and not at all to my interest. Apparently, no one in America seems to agree with me.

I've recently found that the popularity rate of Twilight raised a great deal AFTER the movie came out in 2008. Strange, because I thought every one loved the book series. Evidently, after the movie, with the "hot" Robert Pattinson, I believe that teens and tweens felt dedicated to read this book for the sake of good ol' Rob, and to join their friends to feel a comfortable sense, fitting in. Their pure attraction to the style and look of the movie lead to the true discovery of the series, and so forth, book sales sky rocketed.
For some reason, I think Twilight readers only read the books and viewed the movie because it seemed, and still does, "cool" and new.
Another theory. Maybe a person just feels satisfied after reading a, what, 1000 page book in a week. I've heard lots of this kind of chatter among my friends, so maybe Twilight fans also like to brag to their friends about reading a big, long book. Not that the quality of the literature works, which, believe it or not, is the whole point of a book.
Twilight is another cult that will soon pass. I don't think the buzz is really worth it, and after reading this article, you should agree with me.

Newbe1998 said...
Newbe1998, Warren, Maine
Your not alone. I don't like it either :)

Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
-Ernest Hemingway

okay, i very much respect your opinion, assuming that you both read and watched the saga, however, I must disagree. I am not a person that follows the pack- actually, I try my hardest to stay away from the pack because I have the exact same view on conformity and what ever. I didn't read twilight until after the third movie came out(not ever seeing the movies) because I thought it was a stupid fad, and even then I only read it because i was bored and had already read all of the *sophisticated* books on my shelf(for the record, twilight is nowhere near a thousand pages and it would be quite an accomplishment to read that long of a book in a week). I hate twilight because it is a fad, yet I very much respect how much success it has had despite what I think is a rather stupid story. believe it or not, twilight hits on the fantasies and hearts and ideals of its audience, and while this could make it seem shallow to some, it has done much better than other books which might be, yes, *better*. I think that the movies do about as well as they could with such a difficut book to recreate on screen. Also, I would give more credit to the modern teen( or whoever else is watching twilight). We can make our own decisions and it's unfair to assume that we can't. All of this being said, i do agree with you. I also, more prominently, don't though.

KelliB GOLD said...
KelliB GOLD, Amarillo, Texas

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
- Bill Cosby

I agree with Aliescha L.

elizabethlong BRONZE, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
I have to disagree with you on some of it, yes the book series did get more popular after the movie but I don't think fans felt they should read it just because they watched the movie. But I do agree that Twilight will eventually pass just like many other books from years ago.

kateyt123 said...
As if she's not bashing our opinions

JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York

"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

I agree with everything Molly wrote. Just because you don't doesn't mean you need to bash her opinions. If you don't have something good to say about the article you shouldn't have commented. Even if I was a Twilight fan, I would either write a comment about how I don't agree but how it was well written or just not comment. There was no need to bash her opinion just because you are a Twilight fan.

EnderWiggin said...
EnderWiggin, Pittsfield, Maine
"Eeeeyup."-Big Macintosh

EnderWiggin said...
EnderWiggin, Pittsfield, Maine
I apologize if that's grammatically incorrect. I have trouble wording these things.

EnderWiggin said...
EnderWiggin, Pittsfield, Maine
Parody is indeed as enjoyable or more enjoyable than originals.  

EnderWiggin said...
EnderWiggin, Pittsfield, Maine
Kristen-emotional-void-Stewart.

EnderWiggin said...
EnderWiggin, Pittsfield, Maine
A common incentive to watch the Twilight movies is because "teh atcors is so HAWT! *smiley face emoticon* *heart emoticon*."  This made me think, "What else is viewed because the actors are attractive?" Congratulations, Twilight. You have the same entertainment value as po.rn. 

kksexi12 said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 10:14 am
it prbly wont pass. i never would have heard of it if it werent for the movies or my aunt lol

Priya5 BRONZE said...
Priya5 BRONZE, Bhuj, Other

ummmm....... Me , Myself & I....... :p

exactly!!!!!! I still don't understand why tweens and teens "oooh and aaah" about Robert can-I-get-any-whiter Pattinson or girls wanting to be Kristen all-this-world's-grievances-on-my-shoulder Stewart....... i mean Harry Potter is a much more fantastic of a movie and also a great book......  

JAZLIZZLE SILVER, Sacramento, California

It was much pleasanter at home, when one wasn't always growing larger and smaller, and being ordered about by mice and rabbits.
-Alice (Alice in Wonderland)

I completely agree!I've read all of the Twilight books and I've seen the movies to give it a fair chance, but I didn't connect with the story. With Harry Potter, I fell in love with the messages and characters. I feel the characters are better role models than Bella or the Cullens.

just-another-url GOLD, Cannes, Other

"It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness." -Philip Lester

sorry it doubled, don't know why :O

just-another-url GOLD, Cannes, Other

I, for one, loved the books and ya i read them after i saw the first movie. But just because some teens, myself included, like something that after turns into a hit doesn't mean it's ''disgusting''. To some OK, if that's the way they feel about it, but that doesn't mean that it's not good. 

People should respect other peoples likings and respect what other people think of something. What appeals to one, might not to the other. I respect your choice for not liking Twilight, but you should respect that your friends find it ''cool''. 

AndySixxLover GOLD, Weatherford, Texas

These violent delights have violent ends and in there triumph die like fire and powder in witch their kiss consume

I LOVE TWILIGHT  i  thouht the books where better than the movie BUT  im still a TWIHARD. I dont understand why people are in love with  Robert Pattinson.But Taylor Lautner i love him but i loved him before the twilight movies or books came out.

Mystisha BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
I've read the books but yeah i hated the movie to the core..I'm not a twilight fan at all..when i see girls mad about Robert pattinson or taylor i just hate it...i totally agree with this article..lol..Vampires suck is better than twilight :P

yogita GOLD said...
yogita GOLD, Chennai, Other

"things dont change...you change things!"

and juicyfan6..have you read the other books by JKR...."Fantastic Beasts and where to find them", "Quidditch through the ages", and "Tales of Beedle the Bard" ?... if u haven't check them out....when u read the HP series again u'll enjoy it more!! :)

yogita GOLD said...
yogita GOLD, Chennai, Other

i LOVE harry potter.... Twilight is SUCH A BORE! especially the movies!!! OMG!!! Really, the books werent that gr8 and these guys couldn't ake the movies watchable either!!! HARRY POTTER on the other hand is something that ACTUALLY has some thing thatwe can enjoy and read again and again and agian!!! GO JKR!!! :)