You Could Say | Teen Ink

You Could Say

June 15, 2012
By akstory GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida
akstory GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida
11 articles 3 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
~ J. K. Rowling


You could say that the Harry Potter book series is just your classic good vs. evil story, but it’s not. You could say that Harry Potter is just your normal protagonist, but he’s not. You could say that Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger are just sidekicks present in every novel, but they’re not. You could say that Hogwarts is just another magical school, but it’s not. You could say that Albus Dumbledore is just a mentor needed to make the story complete, but he’s not. You could say that Tom Riddle is your typical bloodthirsty bad guy, but he’s not. You could say that the romances between Harry and Ginny and between Ron and Hermione are your everyday teenage love stories, but they’re not. You could say Harry Potter is just another book on the shelf, but it’s not.

Translated into nearly 70 languages with nearly 450 million copies sold worldwide, the Harry Potter series is the number one most sold series in existence. Seven books, eight movies, and ten years create the “Harry Potter Generation.” If you can tell me another book that has caused people to name a generation after it, then maybe you could say that Harry Potter isn’t that special. Of course there are Harry Potter haters out there, but even they cannot argue that the series hasn’t taken a huge toll on today’s society.

Even characters with only one line in the entire series carry so much importance in the plot. There’s enough emotion in every chapter to fill that of an entire normal book. The plot is so thick that the seventh book couldn’t be summarized in just one movie. The love for the series is so strong, even a theme park was built in honor of the great books. The relationships built throughout the series are so complex, they could be real. The themes the books have created can be applied to almost anybody’s life. Themes of courage, friendship, perseverance, patience, self-confidence, but most of all, the theme of love shown through each and every word.

J.K. Rowling is without a doubt one of the most phenomenal women alive today. She created more than 7 books, she created a lifestyle that so many people in the world can enjoy together. She brought something into the world that brings us all together, by the name of Harry Potter. With everything that she’s done, no one can say Harry Potter is just another series, because they’d be lying.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because I've been a Harry Potter fan since the beginning and I've heard so many people trash the series, this is my way of proving them wrong. I really love these books and I hope you like my article :)