Nu Metal Origins | Teen Ink

Nu Metal Origins

March 18, 2014
By NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois
NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois
40 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Like Moves On
Things Happen
I am my shadow self


Nu Metal Origins

Like mainstream pop-rock? Bands such as Flyleaf, Evanescence, or do you have a heavier taste for bands such as Attack! Attack! Or Sleeping With Sirens, Of Mice & Men? Well then cover your ears and hold onto your hearing aid get ready to join the nu wave army of the underground.
Nu Metal origins start in the lower west side of the California bay with the new sound of Rap and Hip Hop coming into play. This new sound took the bay area over by storm; acts such as Ice Cube, Korn and Deftones were taking the helm early on with the new younger wave of kids that sought out this type of music. The true father of this brand of metal is currently unknown unlike its other brothers such as Heavy Metal which has Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Or Thrash Metal which has Metallica, Anthrax Megadeth and Slayer. Nu metal has this type of power that could really define it under a number of many acts such as Pantera, Exempt and Morphus. No real band has been really given the name of being the real father of this nu metal brand (Buskin et al 378 - 380).
With that exception of these many bands as being the so called fathers. Korn is the really mainstream band when people think if the term Nu metal. With the numerous hits and many actual surprise events that have happened with these bands that have supported them such as Limp Bizkit, Deftones have started the actual formation of the name nu metal. With their different sounds that no other type of music has included, it involves the styles of rap, hip hop and mixing turntables to make the music sound as heavy as it possibly can. The deep sound has basically fermented the sound of the heavy bass and mixing guitar sounds. The so called whining sound has basically is the whammy bar mixing in with the winding turn tables as they mix with the bass guitar drops in the chorus. This sound repeats with the rap style singing, this doesn't include the chorus and other actual factors (Buskin et al 378 - 380).
Major stand outs for this type of genre have been many. Most of which have been caused by Lollapalooza with such acts like Korn, Limp Bizkit, The Deftones, Ice Cube, and Drowning Pool in the early stages of their band completion. Then there's the infamous Woodstock 1999. Korn had just finished their set list and had got a humongous reaction from the crowd of over 90,000 people. The next band to come up on the set was Limp Bizkit, as the set was going as good as it could and with the numerous fans were forming a mosh pit and it was unaware to Fred Durst that the crowd was tearing pieces of the stage apart and surfing on pieces of wood over the crowd. With the over use of adrenaline he started to move with the crowd. Which at the time wasn't a really bad idea. The aftereffect was the crowd started tearing the whole concert apart. Causing the total of four deaths and countless injuries (Buskin et al 378 - 380).
Number of the many outstanding moments in the Nu Metal industry. For instance the many rap groups that sprung out of the nu metal scene turn rap artists such as Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg and Kid Rocks early days all seemed to have a connection to this nu metal sound and movement. Such ideas present songs like Children of The Korn feat Ice Cube was one of the founding songs that introduced the idea of mixing a rap artist with a metal band and with the extra glamor of it being Korn it quickly escalated towards the top of the mixed music charts (Buskin et al 378 - 380).
After the early 2000’s many bands had their success with all that Nu metal had to offer, it went dormant for a decade or so until this new type of metal became increasingly popular with the younger crowd and most call it screamo others death core all of it meaning the most general idea. It is the basic offspring of nu metal, with a few slight tweaks and turnarounds that surround this new type of genre. The rap style songwriting and the deep chorus screaming give it the unique definitions of being a type of nu age nu metal. Most musicians dislike this new sound. Accusing it not being creative in many ways. This coming from the same musicians which consider dubstep, or a motion of pushing buttons on a laptop to produce music a true form of music. I strongly disagree with them but that means nothing. This type of music has taken the underground scene by storm just as its former Hardcore grunge did five years prior to this becoming so mainstream (“Emo History & Origins” 1 - 2).
Many acts have made this genre famous from its pop punk vibe to the heavy rap core style. Front bands such as Sleeping with Sirens, Of Mice & Men, and We Came as Romans, Atilla and countless others have taken the teens that allow them and led them to the light of day and the darkness of night as each has become a wonderful experience. Such compilations like Punk Goes Pop, Punk Goes Acoustic have made these bands very popular with the new pop relative culture. Many bands such as Memphis May Fire, Abandon All Ships and Motionless In White have made a living as act that’s supply their fans with the twin vocals such as Memphis May Fire’s song “Miles Away” which features Sleeping With Sirens singer Kellin Quinn and have made this song popular among many young fans (“Spirit of Metal” 1 - 3).
Other critics mistake other bands as screamo when in fact they aren't screamo in the tense that they aren't even close to screamo or nu metal for that matter. Such bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Suicide Silence and American Me are under the category of Deathcore and Metalcore which is also true but you have to look at the fact of being multiple categories many of these bands fall under (“Spirit of Metal” 1 - 3).
Can you still hear me? Good well im glad I had the time to take you to a world of new sounds and ideas. You may hate it at first but this music grows on you. . I’m glad you can see this brand of music for the positive instead of the bad reputation that it has been given over the past thirty years.


The author's comments:
With this paper I wanted to enlighten the other metal fans on my English report of the origins of Nu Metal and how it is recognized today. I hope you enjoy my idea of Nu Metal bands and the music that goes along with it