Submerged in the unknown | Teen Ink

Submerged in the unknown

By Victoria Jiang BRONZE, Thousand Oaks, California
Victoria Jiang BRONZE, Thousand Oaks, California

We watch movies and TV shows so often that this feeling becomes something so natural to us, and we don't even notice it much anymore. We allow the plot and story to completely capture us into it, to the point where we feel each character and we become much, much more than just the audience. Before we know it, each story is manipulating us and controlling our emotions, whether it is tearing up, laughing, or the hurting deep inside our hearts that is so unexplainable. Whichever it is, as the audience we are like puppets, following and changing along with the different points in the movie that control our reactions. At first, there may be an evil villain, and of course, they are hated. However, as the plot continues, it plays with our feelings and we may end up feeling pity for them and wanting them to survive and live on. At that point, we are already set up for a great disappointment because that evil villain who we now love, will die. And with all the dramatic, emotional music, we can't help but start bawling and just continue watching in pain. Yes, we continue to watch. Why? Because we are still just puppets, and the show isn't over yet. It will give us no mercy because we are completely submerged into each of the characters. The best movies and dramas will have us laughing so hard at one point, and crying our hearts out the next. That is what makes it awesome because we find it interactive; it's like we are conversing with the show. The plot says something, and we react. And it is very funny how we want to be manipulated like this, since most of the time we don't want the movie to end. Even if it is so deeply painful and sad, we still have a slight disappointment when it is finally over. And even then, we aren't completely free from its grasp. It leaves us thinking, thinking about its true meaning and how it applies to life in our world. This feeling, the submerging into each storyline, has become the norm. We secretly expect it each time we watch something, although we don't think, "I'm ready for my emotions to be controlled and changed by this following story". This submerging into the unknown future of the movie is just like living temporarily in a different life, as several different people. It is a real dream. Just don't forget to wake up and live back in the now.