Top 25 Dream Theater Songs | Teen Ink

Top 25 Dream Theater Songs

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

OK, some of you should know by now that I love heavy metal and while that is cool and all, how about songs that are longer than 10 minutes. They exist. Thus we have the Progressive Rock/Metal scene. And my favorite from the scene is easily Dream Theater. Dream Theater is a Progressive Metal band originating from The US and formed in the mid 80's with John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy. Then the got Kevin Moore on keyboard and Charlie Dominici on vocals and 1989 they released their first album When Day Dream Unite, and it all came up from there. Though, this one of there least popular albums for many reasons. Anyways the band has come a long way and there is alot to go through.

25, The Mirror- Awake, coming from the first album with Jordan Rudess at the keyboard, this is a fun song that could make a good transition to the 12 Step Suite. The thing is I haven't listened to it in ages.

24, This Dying Soul-Train Of Thought, the second track off of Train Of Thought and The 12 Step Suite. This song is fast, heavy, and especially great this is a nice transition from The Glass Prison.

23, The Dance Of Eternity-Metropolis Pt. 2, This is a 6 minute instrumental shred-fest and also was played in the famous Instrumedly. It also has references to Part 1. My favorite of the album, so far.

22, The Ytse Jam-When Day And Dream Unite, coming off of the first album, this is yet another instrumental. Though it is a minute shorter. This has a catchy shed fest and iconic music. Arguably the most famous song from the first album.

21 A Change Of Seasons-A Change Of Seasons EP, the epic from their first EP. ACoS was made to calm down the fans on the long awaited and disappointing Falling Into Infinity. But the first song is 23 'n' a half minutes long and pretty sad. It is about they loss of Petrucci's wife and tells us that,

while no one lives forever, we should live life to the fullest and be happy with what we have. By the way, This is the first epic on here, meaning only one thing....
20, The Best Of Times-Black Clouds And Silver Linings, next to The Count of Tuscany, this my least favorite from the album but that means good in this case. The song contrasts from the rest of the album being more of happy memories instead of desolated themes and nightmarish dreams, literally. The second to last track of the album and being over, guess, ten minutes long. This album needs something like this.

19, Forsaken-Systematic Chaos, a slow mournful song after the chaos of In The Presence Of Enemies pt 1. Much like the last entry, this is one of those songs that contrasts from the rest of the album. And also has an Animated music video on their channel on YouTube.
18, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence-Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, the last track off of the album and clocking at 42 minutes this is the longest Dream Theater song to date. This is, in fact, an epic. This talks about what the album was trying to get, Six Degrees. Consisting of, six main parts. This doesn't include the About To Crash Reprise, the Overture, or the Grand Finale though. But, this is super long and aren't for people who have a short attention span or just don't like this sort of thing.

17, The Looking Glass-Dream Theater, coming from their latest and also the album's second single to appear, kind of soft but that is how it is in this album. One of the shorter songs...ever from these guys being under 5 minutes, That is short!

16, The Bigger Picture-Dream Theater, this song is very sad and full of mourn, I'm tearing up just thinking about it, or maybe its Eluveitie's Epilogue to Helvetios. Well, either way, This is very depressing and for whoever is the character here, James an do it well. Brilliantly performed. It is a real tear jerker and you WILL cry after hearing this.

16, Stream Of Consciousness-Train Of Thought, The only Instra-epic on here. After the previous track Vacant comes this 11 minute song of completion. It is slow, yes, but very moody and also, no vocals here.

15 Pull Me Under-Images and Words, WHAT? "How dare you put this famous and most certainly amazing song this low on the list. You are a disgrace in the Fan base," says everyone. OK, OK, fine. But here me out. I just think its a little overrated, plus this was also the first song I've ever heard from these guys. It's good but it doesn't age as well as some of the later songs on the list. Well, being the first single on Dream Theater's account, this did have an appearance in Guitar Hero World Tour as a credits song and also as a playable track in the game. Plus it's way too easy in the game. It isn't well aged and VERY overrated from the start.
14, The Root Of All Evil-Octavarium, the third song in the 12 Step Sweet and also following steps 6 and 7 of the process it is also the shortest song of the five being 8 minutes long. The opening track to Octavarium, and also transitioning out of This Dying Soul it is clear that I love the song. Too bad I can't sing it on Teen Ink, Darn it why is it only 6 minutes tops. Nevermind, The song is an easy listen to and should be recognized as just that.
13, Metropolis Part 1-Images and Words, the shortest epic on here and the only one shorter than 10 minutes. As WatchMojo said, "When you here those sleigh bells ring, you know your in for something awesome. And it ain't a Christmas song." Ah, those were the days. After this people wanted more of the story of The Miracle And The Sleeper and we got what we wanted and MORE. But also this is one of the first songs to include an orchestra, Theheavymetalist approved.
12, Overture 1928-Metropolis Pt 2, Combined with the first track Regression and your in for some amazement here. Boo-yah! Alright, much like Dance Of Eternity, this is, in fact, an Instrumental and a great one at that. As a last note: would you find it ironic that the only two Pt 2 songs are Instrumentals.
11, The Instrumedley, only played live, this a 12 minute medley of instrumental parts of past songs as well as a piece of Liquid Tension Experiment's Acid Rain in the middle. Check it out or go to a Dream Theater concert near you, if any, and they should play it at one point.
10, Panic Attack-Octavarium, this is a song that everyone should know. Infamous for being pulse pounding and appearing in Rock Band 2 and being hard as heck. Again, very overrated but it is fast and has more feeling than Pull Me Under, but that's me.
9, The Enemy Inside and Illumination Theory-Dream Theater, One is a famous single, the other is an over looked epic of epic proportions, pun intended. These two tracks go together well and make up for the lack of decent songs on here. The Enemy Inside is about a man returning from war and has crazy hallucinations of mass destruction. Being a single, imagine the thought of the songs core Progression. On the other hand we have Illumination Theory. Being the last track in the album this ends off the album well with my favorite part being number 2, Live, Kill, Die. and the rest is great as well but that takes the cake. 22 minutes long and it is still very fresh of a song from start to finish.
8 As I Am-Train of Thought, this song is basically the band's way of saying screw you to the music industry and tell them they won't be influenced by what they have to say. Talk about symbolic. Right of the bat we have Myung's bass riff coming into play followed by the rest of the band slamming into submission. Beautiful, just beautiful. And then we have heads banging throughout the song.
7, Outcry-A Dramatic Turn Of Events, a very suddle song and a great entry on this list. This is my way of saying, "forget On The Backs Of Angels or Build Me Up, Break Me Down, this is even better." Outcry deserves more attention then those hacks that people call songs. Very slow, very suddle, and very effective here as well. I love this song.

6 A Nightmare To Remember and Wither-Black Clouds and Silver Linings, another tie I know but this is the last one. Both are very suddle and kind of sad. A nightmare to remember is about a traumatic car crash that John Petrucci experienced as a child. Poor him, but at least he can share the song with the rest of the world. 15 minutes, no problem at all. Wither is a third of that time and very sad, depressing and kind of easy to listen to as well. One of the first songs I've ever heard and it still stands as that.

5, The Glass Prison-Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, you all should know this one by now. Incredible how this song shot up the radar in quick weeks. The starting track to the album it starts with static and then blasts into bass then the hole band. The drums here too are also phenomenal, what with Portnoy using every drumbeat he knows. And Cptn. Bison says "yes!"
3 Honor Thy Father-Train of Thought, last ToT song on here and this is a dossy to explain. If I'm correct, this is considered to be the 13th "crooked" step and I can see why. Look at the lyrics and tell me it doesn't belong. I found this song after watching a Rock Band video and went over to this song after it was over, and I wasn't disappointed at all. I can't say its the best but I can say it is a song worth your time. Its only ten minutes nothing to fret here but it does the f word in it so if you're sensitive to that sort of thing, then stay away.
2, The Dark Eternal Night-Systematic Chaos, "No one, dares to, speak of the terrible danger" goes Labrie at the vocals. "Man this song is catchy, I want to listen to it again" (rewinds to start). "Ah yes, this verse again. This is the catchiest song ever made." And that is what I think about the song.

Number 1, Octavarium-Octavarium, alright, 24 minutes is how long it takes to get through this masterpiece of a song. There are many messages through this song. Split into 5 parts it is amazing to see that all of these stories are fascinating and have some sort of hidden conversation through it. Also, it ends where it had begun leaving more to wish for. Some may argue that this doesn't need anymore storytelling but I would like an Octavarium Part 2 much like Metropolis Part 2. My favorite parts are parts 3 and 4 because these are the fastest and heaviest parts. Part three Full circle is about the way you put your life together until the end. Much like the circle of life. Part four is called Intervals, take a guess what this is about. Also the song has many references and Easter eggs all over the place and is far more than is countable. Dream Theater's official Magnum Opes and truly exemplifies what Dream Theater has to offer. That's all for now. I'll be making more countdowns in the future. See you all later.

I'm a Dream Theater fan with alot of things in mind like this countdown. It was very hard to make and it took alot of time too.

Yeah, I see my flaws here. Plus there was the constant spelling error of the word "subtle" and the fact that u skipped number 4 for some reason. As for the information that you corrected me with, it was mostly my own interpretations and from a Watchmojo video for best Dream Theater songs. So I guess you could say that Watchmojo needs to do better research on their part so that I don't butcher information. Though similar to that of Octavarium and Illumination Theory, they probably did have a backing orchestra for Metropolis Part 1 when on tour around '92 and '93 but then it was up to whoever was Manning keyboards at the time(just a thought). I will admit, I did make alot of mistakes, but I have attempted to learn from them and this list probably would be changed alot if I remade it today. Thanks for the info and I will do my best to avoid these in any future countdowns.

Your taste is questionable and your knowledge nonexistent. Jordan Rudess's first album on keyboards was Scenes from a Memory, not Awake. You were wrong about elements of the storylines and plots of many songs--A Change of Seasons is actually about the loss of Portnoy's mother, rather than "Petrucci's wife". "Metropolis: Part 1" did not include an orchestra, it was just Moore's keyboards. Part 2 of Illumination Theory is called "Live, Die, Kill," in fact, and "As I Am" isn't about the music industry. Petrucci wrote it about Queensryche's guitarist trying to belittle him and give him tips on songwriting. "Honor Thy Father" has no relation to Portnoy's 12-Step Suite--it's about his (apparently horrible) stepfather. The word "step" used in the lyrics is an abbreviation for "stepfather." Full Circle has no real meaning; it's a tribute Portnoy made to progressive/rock music that's inspired him. And I respect that people can have different tastes in music, but I literally cringed when you said "My favorite parts are parts 3 and 4 because these are the fastest...parts." I won't complain about the low placing of A Change of Seasons and Metropolis, Part 1, or the absence of Home or Beyond This Life, but I will say this is a list that is uneducated and foolish.