Top 10 Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands | Teen Ink

Top 10 Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Part of being a music freak, or especially metalhead, is the brotherhood of find old, new, and bands that don't get enough attention. Where am I going with this? Well, I have a huge setlist of songs that I know. Overrated means bands that people need to shut up about and get way too much attention, though not always bad. Underrated means bands that get too low of scores or that are "underground" in a sense. Both will be a good topic, even though this basic topic has been done to death. I will be basing these off of scores, popularity, my interest, and the fanbase. Let's get started.

Overrated: 10, Godsmack, Nu-metal: these guys have been around since the late 90's and are still going today. They have just released 1000hp and have very popular radio hits like Alive, Whatever, Voodoo, and I Stand Alone. I like them but I'm not a nu-metal fan.

Underrated: 10, Twelve Foot Ninja, Ska Metal, these guys always get low scores, but that's only because of the way, and fact, they experiment. I personally like experimentation, it shows that a group is not afraid to stay in a tight space and expand the horizons a bit, granted sometimes it doesn't work. You guys, however haven't heard of this band, but if like experimentation, check them out. Their newest album is Silent Machine and it is awesome.

Overrated: 9, Trivium, Melodic Death Metal, these guys are, in my opinion, terrible. I can't like a song, well other than Vengence Falls. I hate them, to me, they're like a watered down version of some amazing Melodic Death Bands like Disarmonia Mundi, check them out by the way, I don't even know how they became so popular, especially here! Before I get an angerism let's go to the next entry.

Underrated: 9, The Kordz, Power Metal, The K-O-R-D-Z, I love this band. This gem comes out of the Middle East, which isn't really a good mainstream metal area just so you know. But these guys are amazing. Their newest album is Beauty And The East, which is phenomenal. I would highly recommend this band to fans of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Kamelot fans. If you can find them BUY THE ALBUM!

Overrated: 8, Within Temptation, Symphonic Metal, I have to admit, this is some overrated stuff here. This is the most mainstream Dutch band I can think of, with After Forever and Ayreon coming close. They have released so many albums in 10 years that it isn't funny. My favorite album has to be The Heart of Everything, with my favorite song being, well, The Heart of Everything. I love this band but, I can't get around the fans.

Underrated: 8, Fear Factory, Industrial Metal, Following Rammstein, this band was among the first Indust. metal bands I have ever came across. Though unlike Rammstein, They are not German, and don't speak it like they do. They have released many albums and I have seen one review of this band but that's about it. My favorite song has to be Linchpin from Digimortal. They have released a new album in 2012 called The Industrialist, which is their shortest album ever. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, OOMPH!, or early nu metal.

Overrated: 7, AC/DC, Hard Rock, coming out of Australlia, this has been around ever since the 70's, yet, they have some lackluster songs in thier Discography, Back In Black, Let There Be Rock, For Those About To Rock, are great albums, but I just can't get into them. Sorry, but they are my current favorite classic Hard Rock band today. I do recommend this band for people who like Led Zepplin, and Black Sabbath. I said it, so respect it.

Underrated: 7, Andromeda, Prog Metal, This is no slouch, but it is basicly Dream Theater meets Rage Against The Machine, meaning, Political Prog Metal. Their newest album, Mannifest Tyranny, is better than any of Dream Theater's 90's albums but it doesn't match up with their later releases. I honestly feel that they are like the Megadeth being that they are constently under someone's shadow. Check them out, if you want.

Overrated: 6, Evanescence, Symphonic Metal, the only Symphonic metal band that is female fronted that is in the US that I can name. Amy Lee is a wonderful singer and she can even fit in Nightwish perfectly. Taking on more of a Gothic approch to the power metal scene this band gets way too much attention. So much that they rival with Job For A Cowboy, Disturbed, Linkin Park, and Metallica in fame. My favorites are all from the Fallen album with, My Immortal, Bring Me To Life, and Going Under. Shut up about them OK. I love you guys, but come on, well this explains why they're in a hiatus.

Underrated: 6, Nemesea, Symphonic Metal, coming out of the same country as Within Temptation, Netherlands, I never heart his being talked about. They are famous in Netherlands, but they didn't go mainstream enough. Their latest album, The Quiet Resistence, talks about the break up between two characters, sound familiar, well that is most of us in a nutshell. They also have some pretty creative songs and more on the happy side, or at least sad, but they're never dark as blackness. Favorite songs: Say, Broken, No More, Whenever, 2012, and Allien.

Overrated: 5, Black Veil Brides, Emo Metal, Good god, this is horrible. Honestly I'd rather gorge my eyes out than this to this trash. They are like My Chemical Romance meets Motley Crue, and it DOESN'T WORK! Their latest album, I don't even care what it's called, is an abomination to the metal name. If you like them then you can get through it no problem. But if you don't, then it's IMPOSSIBLE to even get halfway through, let alone all the way. Sorry fanboys but it's the truth, it's a terrible metal band and is just a bad taste in my mouth. On the other hand....

Underrated: 5, Atryu, Emo Metal, this band is far superior to that of BVB. Songs like Ex's and Oh's and Ravenous are marvelous and while they aren't my cup of tea, I would listen to this than BVB any day.

Overrated: 4, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax, Thrash Metal. This Quartet of bands are good in their own right, but when compared to say, Sepultura or, Flotsam and Jetsam, they aren't as good as those other thrash bands. Sure they were they first bands to make Thrash Metal MORE mainstream but ultimatly it just makes them more popular and ONLY them. The good thing is that they experimented, Though it turned into stupid albums. Metallica, Load, RELoad, and ST. Anger. MegaDeth, Youthanasia, Risk, United Abominations, fitting title, Rust In Peace, I hate it, and Super Collidier. Slayer, World Painted Blood, God Hates Us All, and South of Heaven. Anthrax, Persistance of Time, sorry I can't think of anything else.

Underrated: 4, Sonata Arctica, Symphonic Metal, they are popular in Finland and in the US as far as I know, but none of you seem to know about it. It is phenomenal and worth a good listen. They aren't as good as Children of Bodom, Nightwish, or Kamelot, or heck even Evanescence is better than this, but it needs more attention, I swear it feels like I'm talking to a wall with this band. Their newest album is called Pariah's Child released in 2012, They are also signed with the legendary Nuclear Blast Records, so how are they not popular. I don't know either.

Overrated: 3, Linkin Park, Nu Metal/ Rapcore, one of the first metal bands I have been exposed to, Chester and the gang are great and my favorite of all Nu Metal bands. I even like A Thousand Suns and Living Creatures. But their earlier works are more overrated, granted they are better to me too. Hybrid Theory, is based off of childhood experiencences that Chester had, it all goes from there. The fanbase is annoying as heck though.

Underrated: 3, Dir En Grey, Nu Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal. I would describe these guys as the Japanese Marylin Manson, haunting, creepy, and kind of fun to listen to. Obscure, Saku, Different Sense, and Macabre are all fun. I haven't explored enough though to really give a real opinion, for that I would need to an albums worth of music. They're like Meshuggah, check them out, in which they can appeal to just about anyone. My favorite band out of Japan.

Overrated: 2, Iron Maiden, Classic Power Metal, I have a feeling that I won't make any friends here, but these guys are fun and sometimes haunting, But I just can't like them alot now, bands like Helloween, The Kordz and Kamelot are far superior to this and I bet people agree. They aren't around anymore though, which is kind of sad. Their offical last album is called The Final Frontier. Paul Diano, Blaze Bayley, and Bruce Dickinson, I'm leaving anyone out here, all where incredible singers. But they are WAY too famous. All of their albums are decent at worst but I don't see anything truely remarkable anymore.

Underrated: 2, Hex Rx, Dupstep Metal/ Mathcore, think Skrillix but darker and a billion times better. As far as I know they have two albums, X, and D, each are over an hour long yet they have 3 and 4 minute songs. I plan to do a review on X but we can wait for that. I can see why this isn't popular but, it needs to be more popular. Favorite songs: My Next Sin, Flesh, Red, Greed, Ashamed, and Hollow.

Overrated: 1, Led Zepplin, Hard Rock, why is this highly overpopular? I don't know either. I do like some of their songs like Immigrant's song and Kashmir, but otherwise that is it. The moment they made their first album, That should have been it. The moment they got too much radio play, that should have been it. With the exception of the two I mentioned, every song is garbage and I hate this band with a burning passion.

Underrated: 1, Cannibal Corpse, Brutal Death Metal, Hammer Smashed Face, Make Them Suffer, Torture, all good songs from such an overlooked band, at least by us. Cannibal Corpse, shows that the 80's are very creative and can branch out many genres here, such as Death Metal. They have been great since Day 1 and have improved since then. I'm not sure if they're still around but I do know that their album covers are bloody, gorey and overall grotesque all the way through. That is true Death Metal, sadly they have to censor those covers so no awesomeness for us. Check out, Tomb of the Mutalialted and Torture you won't be disappointed. Thus this double countdown ends, see you guys next time. Remember if you metal, I'm your guy.

I felt like doing this. People have their favorites, and least favorites. Then there are also things that get too mush love or hate.

TheContrary said...
I strongly disagree with many of your choices, and I'm surprised you didn't choose X Japan as the number 1 most underrated. If you haven't listened to them already, I strongly implore you to do so.
Here's my list of overlooked metal and rock bands:
10. Born Of Osiris (Genre: Progressive Deathcore)
9. Godflesh (Genre: Industrial Metal)
8. Periphery (Genre: Djent/Mathcore)
7. Whitechapel (Genre: Deathcore/Brutal Death Metal/Groove Metal)
6. Animals As Leaders (Genre: Progressive Metal/Experimental Jazz Rock)
5. Loudness (Genre: Visual Kei/J Rock)
4. Celldweller (Genre: Experimental/Electronic Rock/Metalstep/Soundtrack)
3. Nightmare (Genre: Visual Kei/Gothic Jazz Rock/Punk Metal)
2. Girugamesh (Genre: Visual Kei/Metalcore/Nu Metal/Alt Metal)
1. X Japan (Genre: Visual Kei/J Rock/J Metal/Speed Metal/Symphonic Rock)
Bonus: Cryoshell (Genre: Melodic Hard Rock/Alt Metal/Gothic Metal)

Clearly someone has only listened to the title tracks of trivium, because they are very heavy (example In Waves, Black, Until the World Goes Cold)

BlackSlumber said...
idiot, Evanescence is not a symphonic metal band.

NormalDayNightmare GOLD, Caledonia, Other

"Music is free therapy."- Alan Ashby
"I am an adult man. Do not bring me into the tumblr world of relationships."- Aaron Pauley

... *looks around slowly* I like Black Veil Brides :/ I don't really think they are "metal" and I'm sorry if you think they are, I just don't believe they are... I think your article anyway :)

Well if that's the case, then maybe I should replace it with HIM or Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. But, they sound like a metal band to me. To me, their like the heavier Fall Out Boy and I still think they suck. Trust me, coverkillernation agrees with me and I'm just 13 right now.

Yami_H BRONZE said...
Yami_H BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
okay so, I'm not commenting to start an argument or anything. But honestly, Black Veil Brides isn't even considered "metal" As a fan of the band I don't consider them anywhere near that genre. They're music is not that hardcore. :/