Top 10 Symphonic Metal Bands | Teen Ink

Top 10 Symphonic Metal Bands

August 26, 2014
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


After Thrash comes, Symphonies. That's right, Symphonic Metal is next. Now like the last Genre based countdown, I will be expanding the origins to just about everywhere. Besides there isn't enough bands in the US. Rules: only bands that I have checked out.

10, Lacuna Coil: Origin: Italy, sorry, but I can't get into these guys. I do know quite a bit of their famous songs like Enjoy The Silence, and Our Truth. Not the heaviest guys in the world either. :( Songs: Enjoy The Silence, Our Truth, Closer, Heaven's A Lie.

9, Sonata Arctica: Origin: Finland, Check out Pariah's Child. Enough said. Songs: Shy, Blood, I Want Out, Running Lights.

8, Nemesea, Origin: Netherlands, This is an underrated GEM of a band. I have made an album review of their album The Quiet Resistence and that album is awesome. Oh, holy cow! Check out In Control and The Quiet Resistence, you won't be disappointed. (Songs: Broken, Afterlife, Say, In Control, Believe, The Way I Feel, and Stay With Me.

7, Evanescence, Origin: US, expect there to be few US bands on the list. These guys, while HIGHLY overrated, is a great band to check out. Fallen and The Open Door are their best efforts. Too bad their in a hietus. Songs: Bring Me To Life, Lithium, Hello, The Haunting, Going Under, and My Immortal.

6, Within Temptation: Origin: Netherlands, WOW! So many Dutch bands, well, we have another overrated band but this isn't as bad as the previous entry. If you asked me what my favorite album is, it would have to be The Heart Of Everything, with Silent Force not far behind. A plethera of fantastic songs in their discography. Check them out and you might like their matierial. Songs: The Heart Of Everything, Angels, The Cross, What Have You Done, Frozen, Hydra.

5 Symphony X, Origin: US, despite being signed with Nuclear Blast, you know like everyone else so far, they did original come from here in the US. Their newest album, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is phenominal. The only album you should stay away from is Paradise Lost, just a nightmare to get through and absolutely stupid. Iconoclast, The Odyssey, The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, all good. But, they are also a Progressive Metal band, betcha didn't see that coming, now did you? Well, here's why, they have made songs as long as 20 minutes. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is the best example of this. What is this, Dream Theater? Songs, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Odyssey, Iconoclast, When All Is Lost, Into The Dragon's Den.

4, Angra, Origin: Brazil, pop quiz, what is Brazil's main metal genre. Times Up, It's Power Metal. Angra, is a good example of this. Formed in 1991 and they're still around. The are know for their use of symphonies in every song and in every chance possible. Check out Temple Of Shadows and Aqua. A unique match up made in heaven. Songs: Acid Rain, Awake From Darkness, The Rage Of The Waters, and Angels And Demons.

3, FLAME SHEILD, Nightwish, Origin: Finland, sorry, but this starts to grow out quickly. My favorite albums are Dark Passion Play, and Imaginarium, sorry not a Tarja fan. I will admitt there are some pretty dang good Tarja songs like Phantom of The Opera, and The Wayfarer. But DPP, and Imaginarium stick better than say, Ever Dream or Once, or Centry Child. I love the band but I can't deny that it needs less attention on Tarja's age. Their current singer is Floor Janson from After Forever. They are going to release a new album soon. and when that comes out, I will review it. I have high hopes for you guys. You keep it going, nothing's going to stop you. Songs: Phantom of The Opera, Bye Bye Beautiful, Storytime, Scaretale, The Poet And The Pendulem, and I Wish I Had An Angel.

2, Dragonforce, Origin:UK, we all knew this was coming. These guys are about speed, nothing more. I can see where they got alot of popularity, from Guitar Hero, Duh. The have released many albums over the course of their time. They're still around and are getting a little edgy, keeping them from number 1.
Songs: Through The Fire And Flames, Fury Of The Storm, Vally Of The Damned, Operation Ground and Pound.

Number 1, Kamelot, Origin: US, AMAZING AS THE STARS! these guys have been around for almost 20 years now and their constantly getting better every time. Sadly Tom Youngblood had to leave. Karma, Ghost Opera, The Black Halo, and even Silverhorn, are all great albums and would all make great starters for the average Kamelot fan. What makes them even more special is the fact that they come out of Tampa, Florida. If you look at my profile you can see I come from Florida. Man, how much more lucky can I get? Well, they even have Medival style heavy metal, complete with symphonies. My favorite album is Ghost Opera, because of the added heaviness and the extra numbers of famous songs like The Human Stain, Mourning Star, Ghost Opera, and Love You To Death. Do I need to say anything else. This has been theheavymetalist. signing off.