The Times Of Spotify | Teen Ink

The Times Of Spotify

By PedroGayo BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida
PedroGayo BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this specific time. However, I want you to know that I do not take any shame in controversy. However, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how ridden with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about Spotify. All right here is how I feel about Spotify. 

If when you say “Spotify” you mean the tediously aggravating app, the firing barrage of horrendous ads, the constant devouring of 30 seconds depriving from ones life if premium is not paid for, ruins the vibe, selfishly gains its money through interruption, yea literally solely promotes the highest artist taking attention from indie artists; if you mean the destructive company gaining an audience out of us men and women from its “free” application and throwing us into a state of despair, and demoralization, and hypnotization, and anger, and anticipation, and hopefulness — then certainly I am against it. 

But if when you say “Spotify” you mean the limitless musical library, the satisfaction of endless sound, the artistry that is enjoyed when good fellows get together, that stirs emotion and thoughtfulness through infinite listening, and the graciously incredible low price to avoid the ads;    if you mean the perfection of collected noise; if you mean the orderly and organized selection of diverse genres that includes brief worthwhile ads that captivate you on a beautiful, unlimited day; if you mean the app that allows a man to escape, and his satisfaction, and simplicity of selection in tact, if only for a little while close himself off to life’s tragedies; and depressive thought, and pain; if you mean that app the download and further payment of which presents a worthwhile investment into our economy, used over all the other disorganized and useless musical entertainment apps, providing care for us listeners out there; to stimulate personalities and characteristics and emotion — then certainly I am for it. This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

This piece draws inspiration and historical context from an infamous speech of the US prohibition era which I’d have formatted to a current trending application with my own experiences tied to it.