Do what you Do | Teen Ink

Do what you Do

By Kristina Hobbs GOLD, Prineville, Oregon
Kristina Hobbs GOLD, Prineville, Oregon

Piercings, tattoos, hair styles. All things that prevent us from pursuing our dreams. If you want to work in a music store or piercing shop then maybe not, but for those of us who just want to look the way we want it averts the majority of us unique individuals from working in most public places. Why is this though?
I recently heard from somebody who is employed right now at a local convenient store that if someone comes in looking "freaky" as she put it, then they'll just throw the application away without even glancing at it. Then i had heard from some other employers from other more public, classy places that they do the same thing. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I heard this! I couldn't believe people aren't getting the jobs they want because of how they look! Its not even like they were homeless and without nice clothes, or its not like they were filthy, smelly or looked grubby in anyway. They just had some jewelry on there face and dark hair. Its amazing the way our community comes together and discriminates what they don't even really know that much about. Why is it that if we dress differently or look different it means we must be threatening or dangerous to society? I mean most people i know who look the way they please are some of the nicest smartest individuals I've ever met. I think people are scared to try something new. They're scared to embellish the way they look, because they know they'll be rejected by the big man.

Therefore; what if somebody has a nose piercing or a mo-hawk? Or even covered from head to toe in tatts. Does this mean they are the enemy? Maybe if you disregard these people you should stop thinking less of them and start admiring them. Maybe when your standing there disgusted with what you see in front of you, you should be astonished at how strong and honest some people can be about expressing themselves. Maybe those people you despise so much are actually your hero. I mean you may wake up every morning and ask yourself; so how can I dress today, thats going to make me blend in with everyone and still look good but yet, not draw too much attention so that people don't think different of me, but then deep inside you somewhere past all the ordinary and mundane thoughts, you have an area stashed away just for your wild, eccentric speculations of how you truly aspire to look. So even though theirs a little part of you that wants to be different and just go crazy with your style, the bigger part of you doesn't want to start a commotion, and would rather collide with the crowd.

Basically those people out there you see who dress the way they please are a stronger braver you. You may not think that because you assume people who look like that are scoundrels, with evil minds, but in reality beauty is skin deep and it really shouldn't matter what's on the outside all that matters is the type of person you are and how you treat other people. I mean, are we still fighting this battle on looks?? I thought we got past that when slaves were freed and everyone started getting treated equally no matter the skin color, and now it seems like were still stuck with having stubborn animosity for those who don't dress to the standards of the uptight community. I just hope that one day it really wont matter the way you look whether it consists of applying for a job you really want, or just people treating people differently. It's all wrong, and it is one battle I think should be fought with inner strength and honor. I think everyone can help too. How about the next time you see someone that you don't approve of appearance-wise, maybe instead of ignoring or despising, you take a look at their eyes, and remember that they woke up this morning with your thoughts only they decided to be brave and go through with it, because they have no fear in judge-ments. They walk around with their head held high, and possibly with all that you'll think damn! I want that person on my team. I want that person working for me. Theres to much courage and strength on that person to just throw it away. Perhaps someday everyone will dress and look the way they want, therefore; the only conflict in getting a job would be if you are truly up to the working standards and if you are actually qualified for the job. Thats the way the world should be, don't you think?

Kristina Hobbs GOLD, Prineville, Oregon
lol thank you;)

TBreezee BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina

Live life...it's the greatest revenge

<33 YOur my new best friend

Teextormentr GOLD, Congers, New York

"If your heart was broken then you'd be dead."

Anytime dude:D

Kristina Hobbs GOLD, Prineville, Oregon
Thanks man, ur pretty much awesome for commenting my article and concurring with me n such. i appreciate it;].

Teextormentr GOLD, Congers, New York

I really appreciated this article. Also the "Emo vs. World" one. I had gauges and was critisized at my school for them. I also have my nose pierced&I'm looking to get a monroe. I think you should write more articles adressing this issue because beauty is really only skin deep&piercings or anything else of the like shouldn't matter. Job well done, keep writing:)

Andi said...
Hey Kriss....another great article by YOU! I'm still debating that lip piercing at 37 and working for the public health dept......hmmm!

Thank you for sharing! Keep writing!!!!

DizzyDean said...
Kristina, this is a great article and I totally respect your goals. Many of us of the baby boomer generation have been fighting this battle since the early 60's and there has been little to no change in the mind of corporate America.

We started by trying to be accepted with our long hair and colorful clothing and have managed to find a little slack in small pockets of the country. Currently, I am continuing the fight right along with you, I have piercings and tats. Fact is that I can't grow hair any more so I have grown my ears, I can proudly say that they are the largest in our small town in Oregon (approx. 200,000) and the largest that I have ever seen.

Good luck with your endeavor. I pray that you will see some acceptance before you reach your 60th year.