The Positive Environment of VSCO Compared to Other Social Media | Teen Ink

The Positive Environment of VSCO Compared to Other Social Media

In our world today, everyone has or goes on social media. Using the tool for school, work and for leisure. Many kids and teens are joining social media without realizing the possible repercussions of giving into the pressures of social media. Many problems are arising from social media that are unknown as we are a part of the first generations to grow up with social media. Many do not realize that they should be part of their kid's social media usage and kids do not know how to give themselves boundaries.  
As social media rises, mental health in teens falls. On social media people are more prone to cyber bullying. Cyber bullying and harassment on the internet are a new problem society is facing, and many go through it without asking for help. Social media has created an atmosphere for young adults to be pinned up against each other to see who has more like and follows, what they look like comparing themselves to a celebrity. Young kids not knowing influencers use photoshop and cosmetic surgery, leading to insecurities and negative experiences on social media.  
There is a better option, some sites are more user friendly and make efforts to eliminate the chance of comparing yourself to others and outdoing one another. A prime example of this is the app VSCO (v-is-coe). The app is designed to edit pictures and videos with filters, camera like filters not snap chat dog filters, and to share work. On VSCO you can post pictures and videos to your own page, follow people, like and or repost their content. The difference between VSCO and many other social media platforms is that there is a no comment section, and you cannot see how many followers, like and reposts someone gets. It is a more casual setting than the high stakes of Instagram. There are direct messages that can be used to send people pictures and communicate with users.  
VSCO creates a better environment because it takes out all the opportunities for negativity and promotes creativity and individuality. Social media should be a shared space for everyone to be their own and show the pieces of their life that they want to show. Getting support and feedback, not hate and pressure. Without seeing the numbers of likes and dislikes or who follows who the app is more focused on the art and what people create with pictures and videos not about the competition of other social media sites.  
While it is too late to go back and un-lose ourselves to social media, we can do better moving forward. No one has to leave their Instagram behind, but to navigate it with more caution and understand the lies of social media. Using platforms like VSCO and others that are made for a creative not competitive space.  

I worked on this piece to help teens and parents see that there is a problem with social media but that there are better places where people can express themselves in a healthy way in a space that promotes self expression and creativity without the negative effects of most social media sites. I am a senior in high school, who cares a lot about social media safety and awarness in mental health.While this was an assignment we were also told to try and reach a larger audience so i thought the best way would be online, on a site like this which is perfect for my article.