Beauty Standards | Teen Ink

Beauty Standards

By SadieIsNumber1 BRONZE, Weatherford, Texas
SadieIsNumber1 BRONZE, Weatherford, Texas

Beauty Standards have changed drastically throughout history, but the point is.. No matter when in history you look there is always a "beauty standard". Now why do people have these beauty standards and how do they affect the people around us. Well the answer is, Beauty standards are what people WANT to see in men and women, and these standards affect everyone in the world, including young children. These standards have caused mental and physical harm to people all over the world, fro example, being skinny has always been a standard almost everywhere, but this beauty standard has caused eating disorders and even physically cutting off fat with plastic surgery. 

Not many people realize how beautiful they are, everyone has times when they think they aren't good enough or that no one likes them because their hair isn't light enough, their lashes aren't long enough, they aren't skinny enough or pretty enough for anyone to like them. I've felt this and you probably have too. But, let me say many people think that only girls have insecurities. But the truth is the opposite, both boys and girls and everything in between can have insecurities. I did a small project and had some of my friends write in a note book about things that they are insecure about and something that they like about themselves. I found that everyone that signed the book had at least one insecurity and at least one thing they liked about themselves. And I even found that the prettiest of girls and handsome guys had more things that they are insecure about then they liked about themselves.

From my research i have found that people will look at you often if they think that you are good looking, but might not say anything because they are either too shy or think that you already know that you are pretty, and I want to put everyone up for the challenge to tell at least one person they are very pretty or even compliment someone on their clothes, shoes, hair style or anything that you like about them.