Teen-age girl’s appearance and the effects on their self esteem… | Teen Ink

Teen-age girl’s appearance and the effects on their self esteem…

By Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri
Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

life isn't passing me by, it's trying to run me over!

These days’ teen girls lack something very important, self esteem. A majority of teen girls try to fit in by having the hottest clothing, perfect hair, and perfect bodies; while also trying to be cool, and popular. They do this in order to fit in. They worry more about their appearance, instead of working on their school work. Their concentration is on their bodies and clothing. A recent survey was taken in a school, and here are the results...

59% of 5–12th grade girls in one survey were dissatisfied with their body shape.

20–40% of girls begin dieting at age 10.

By 15, girls are twice as likely to become depressed than boys.

Among 5–12th graders, 47% said they wanted to lose weight because of magazine pictures.

Health risks accompany girls' drop in self-esteem due to risky eating habits, depression, and unwanted pregnancy.

Girls aged 10 and 12 (tweens) are confronted with "teen" issues such as dating and sex, at increasingly earlier ages.

73% of 8–12–year olds dress like teens and talk like teens.

Many people are surprised by the results. Girls low self esteem, worries many teachers and parents. The question is, why does their self esteem change, why they lack it, and why they focus on their physical appearance? Some experts conclude that a pre - teens focus shifts, the body becomes an all consuming passion, and that is their main focus. "Self-esteem becomes too closely tied to physical attributes; girls feel they can't measure up to society standards." Significantly, girls are rushing to get whatever the other teen girls are getting, while affecting their self esteem. Quoted from an article by Anita Gurian, Ph.D.

The attitude of teen girls who think that they do not have perfect hair, perfect bodies, or perfect clothing can wreak havoc on a teen girl’s self esteem. Importantly, the question is how can we help them raise their self esteem? Some opinions from experts and stay at home moms are, "Watch your own stereotypes; let daughters help fix the kitchen sink and let sons help make dinner." Self esteem matters a lot, it is your courage, your confidence, and it is self respect in yourself.
For decades teen girls all over the world have lacked self esteem. Some girls will let people put them down and they will not stand up for themselves They need to realize that we are all unique individuals, and don’t have to be a copy. Hopefully things will change and get better. It’s obvious that we need to take some action, and help teen girls understand that looks don't always matter. What matters is on the inside, your character and how you treat people; not having the perfect body, or perfect hair, but your inner beauty.

i just wanted to tell what i thought and things that we can change.

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

I'm so sorry this is so late! My name I use for my for my written work is Zaza Wish. Think like, Mark Twain. A Pen Name. Thanks so much. Any way I can read your article?

Abby said...
I can related I can say had boyfriends that treat me like that but cause I never had a boyfriend but family status n everything I can related to

Abby said...
I may say it was amesome to read n I believe that boy do go through that and it true women and men alike in some ways

Broooke67 said...
Just wondering if anyone knows the authors name for this article? I'm using it in a project and would like to reference, thanks!

Mark Luies said...
Self-esteem really does begin at birth. It is developed with influence of parental attitudes & behaviors from birth and continues into all childhood developments. Young babies & children who feel unloved find it more difficult to develop self-worth. Trivedi Effect

i love to much writing and reading...lil love3 i like to much u and lot with ***** stars also

Namama36 said...
Namama36, Summer Looms , Idaho

I am bold, expressive and unique. Nationis Coniunge!

Girls and boys should have good self esteem, not arrogance, also anybody can improve,even Barbie. So its a little pointless, do you!

komokomo said...
I think the ariticle was factual. it seems more to me that teen's care their look more than anything these days. the look is impotant, but they need to defind who they are.  covering up their body with expensive clothes or perfect hair are only thing that are important in life. 

LifeIsBeautiful, Machias, Maine

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
-Dr.Suess

This is very good, I hear girls every day in my middle school complaining about their imperfections. God made us all different and beautiful in our own ways.  Very good job and well written. You supported your opinion with facts very well!

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

Sorry! I was a bit younger when i wrote this and had some spelling errors. I do realize that there is much more i could have added to it. Sorry. But for back then when i was just starting I think its Ok. Thanks for your comment and please vote!!

m k singh said...
girls my insalt to the boring fish im no hinsam

m k singh said...
my love no love my no filing advice to the love

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all--
Into each life some rain must fall,
some days must be dark and dreary.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

This article is factual and informative, but the grammar's kind of sloppy and you bagged too much on girls with low self esteem.  To me, this article says, "It's the GIRLS fault for caring so much about looks", but there are Moms that doll up girls as young as 3 and shove them into pagaents and punish them for not being #1. There's not much of a solution to the problem that your stating. I recommend taking more time to put yourself in the girls' shoes, and you'll see that her Mother, Father, siblings, friends, cliques, etc. also factor in on self-esteem.

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

I just want to add, thank you for your comments. Please rate and comment on my work. I will comment and rate yours. Thank you. 

~zaza

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

yes. I see what you mean. thanks for commenting. 

Mydagirl GOLD said...
Mydagirl GOLD, London, Other

"Because these things will change Can you feel it now? These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down This revolution, the time will come
For us to finally win"-Taylor swift-Change

I agree girls should stop worring about how they look, and start thinking about better things

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

thanks for reading it, and ya everyone is acting different now. 

i think this is right im gunna be 14 nd so many girls are this way!!!!

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

thanks so much for commenting. it means a lot! i will check your work, and my friend has low self-esteema and thats what made me write this. Thaks for commenting and rating.  

t.i.m.n_w PLATINUM, Iqaluit, Other

When oppertunites come, don't be afraid to try for them, they might open doors to bigger and better things.

that is so true. the problem for low-selfestem, is mags,tv, and bullies, trust me, i know. i'm getting up from a low-selfestem. i realized that i SHOULDN'T care about what others think, focus on the positive, and things will get better. i got out of it when i found out people thought i was a good writer....that's what started it, someone telling me something about me that i cared about most.