The Before and After Pictures | Teen Ink

The Before and After Pictures

By simplyinferior GOLD, Ottawa, Illinois
simplyinferior GOLD, Ottawa, Illinois

Lying in bed around 11 pm and scrolling feed on my twitter sounds like a normal girl's weeknight, right? Some of my favorite pages are ones run by girls for girls, and I find them empowering and relatable. Well, that is until the constant retweets show up about diet pills. These tweets have two before-and-after pictures of girls posing in their sports bras. On the before side I usually find girls with normal bodies, ones that look identical to mine. FINALLY DROP ALL THOSE POUNDS!!  the tweet says pointing to the after picture of the same girl with tan, anorexic abs. I always thought that these wouldn't affect me, like, it's just spam, right? Though, when every other tweet on my favorite pages is like this, I begin to believe that maybe I do need to lose the weight. After all, if these famous pages that are completely relatable believe it, shouldn't I? These thoughts overcome me, and everytime I look into the mirror, I don't see me, I see a body that I don't want. I've come to realize that other girls may feel this way too. It's completely unfair for these twitter accounts that have millions of follwers to be posting things like this. It's demeaning and hurts girls' esteem and pride they should never be without. In my opinion, it should stop. It may seem harmless, but it makes me feel the same way as magazine photoshopping and plastic surgery made actresses on the TV. In my opinion, it should be looked at as in issue just as big.

BreeZephyr SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him...it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.” - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

Ha ha, I don't have a twitter either! Or any social media, actually...

True. Very true. And hey, history already backs you up on the fact that beauty standards are subjective, ever-changing, and dictated by the media, not by anyone who matters. Look up "vintage ads promoting weight gain" on Google. Once upon a time, there were ads circulating in America promoting weight-gain pills and saying things like, 'Men wouldn't look at me when I was skinny... But since I gained 10 pounds this new, easy way, I have all the dates I want.' Seriously. Not making that up. ...Also, celebrities photoshop the heck out of their photos.

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

AMEN! So glad I don't have a Twitter...Anyway, fantastic job on this, it's soon true!