The Before and After Pictures | Teen Ink

The Before and After Pictures

April 26, 2015
By simplyinferior GOLD, Ottawa, Illinois
simplyinferior GOLD, Ottawa, Illinois
15 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Lying in bed around 11 pm and scrolling feed on my twitter sounds like a normal girl's weeknight, right? Some of my favorite pages are ones run by girls for girls, and I find them empowering and relatable. Well, that is until the constant retweets show up about diet pills. These tweets have two before-and-after pictures of girls posing in their sports bras. On the before side I usually find girls with normal bodies, ones that look identical to mine. FINALLY DROP ALL THOSE POUNDS!!  the tweet says pointing to the after picture of the same girl with tan, anorexic abs. I always thought that these wouldn't affect me, like, it's just spam, right? Though, when every other tweet on my favorite pages is like this, I begin to believe that maybe I do need to lose the weight. After all, if these famous pages that are completely relatable believe it, shouldn't I? These thoughts overcome me, and everytime I look into the mirror, I don't see me, I see a body that I don't want. I've come to realize that other girls may feel this way too. It's completely unfair for these twitter accounts that have millions of follwers to be posting things like this. It's demeaning and hurts girls' esteem and pride they should never be without. In my opinion, it should stop. It may seem harmless, but it makes me feel the same way as magazine photoshopping and plastic surgery made actresses on the TV. In my opinion, it should be looked at as in issue just as big.