Is Technology Really Helping? | Teen Ink

Is Technology Really Helping?

By jesslyn BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
jesslyn BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Did you know that over 800,000 people die of suicide every year? Most people commit suicide because of bullying, and one of the easiest types of bullying is cyberbullying. Technology is good, like how it is used to stay in contact with people, but it can also be used to bully other people. Is technology a good thing, or is it destroying people, and friendships?

Technology can be a wonderful thing. Technology can help us stay in contact with family and friends. For example, you can facetime a friend or family member who lives far away. Technology allows us to communicate in instants, plus we can see what’s going on with social media, like snapchat, instagram, facebook, ect. Technology can also help if you are shy. It allows you to express more feelings if you are too shy to do it in person.

On the other hand, technology can also become dangerous, and can cause some serious problems. When some teens use social media they don’t think. Sometimes they may not even think if what they’re posting will affect someone else. If a friend post something you didn’t want them to post, it can cause a fight and ruin a friendship. Some teenagers also start rumors when they are on social media. This can definitely cause  drama and destroy a friendship. Rumors spread and once everyone knows, it will be too late to try and get rid of it. This can really hurt someone and even make them insecure, and that’s not good. Would you rather have a real friend, or social media as a “friend”?

Although technology can have a positive effect, it can also have a very negative one. Technology can lead to cyberbullying, which can lead to depression and/or suicide. In fact about one person dies of suicide every 40 seconds! Some teenagers don’t even notice how much some of the things they post, affects their friends. It only takes one wrong post to make someone feel insecure, or even depressed. However, opponents say technology can make friendships stronger. In some cases this is true, but if technology is used immaturely it can have the opposite effect. It can make friendships weaker, or even destroy them. When some teenagers take advantage of technology things like this happen. One of the most amazing things about this topic is that the person who caused the problem may not even realize they did something wrong!

Overall, technology can have a positive effect when used correctly. If used immaturely, technology can cause serious issues, like depression, suicide, and self harm.Technology has had a huge impact on society throughout the past couple of years. It has caused people to take their life, but it has also let people stay connected with the ones they love.No one wants people to take their own life becaues of immature use of technolog. If we can prevent immature use of technology, we won’t have to worry about that.