Flip Phone vs. Smart Phone | Teen Ink

Flip Phone vs. Smart Phone

By goatlady430 SILVER, Enoch, Utah
goatlady430 SILVER, Enoch, Utah

See the light in others, and treat them as if that is all you see.

It has been scientifically proven that smartphones take away from people’s health and well being. Smartphones can even cause you to get less sleep, or have temporary blindness. Flip phones do not cause any issues of the sort. Flip phones are cheaper to buy in the first place, and every month when you get a phone bill. They do not distract you as much. Your smartphone has all your social media and your always getting notifications which causes you to check your phone more frequently. Smartphones make it easier to text/communicate with people. With a smartphone you has access to a great amount of resources. Flip phones are better than smartphones because they do not mess with your health and well being, they do not distract you as much and they are cheaper.

First of all, flip phones do not mess with your health and well being like your typical smartphone can. A couple women went to the doctor complaining of temporary blindness in one. The doctor told them their temporary blindness was caused from looking at their smartphones. According to Walton, “This is just the latest health related issue that smartphones have presented as they’ve taken over the world in recent years; and they’ve certainly been known to affect more than just our eyes” (1). That is showing how smart phones have negatively affected people. Smart phones are not very safe for human use. Walton explains, “Studies have shown that not only is this hormone suppressed, but people who use gadgets in bed have delayed REM sleep and feel less alert the next morning” (4). That is just another way smart phones are hurting people. Smartphones are taking away from sleep which keeps people going. Overall, smartphones are hurting people in their everyday life.

Other people might say that all the studies are foolish, and not important. These people may believe this because they love their smartphones and the resources they provide. However, smartphones are actually hurting people, and they are not worth the risks. When using a smartphone you are hurting your body. Your bodies are important, because your only getting one. Walton describes, “Smartphones and tablets alike out off blue light, which is known to throw off our sleep-awake cycle” (4). This means you are cutting out of your sleep by looking at something as simple as your smartphone. If you did not look at a smartphone you could get more hours of sleep. Therefore, flip phones are better than any smartphone.

With all things considered, smartphones are hurting people and should no longer be used. Flip phones will not hurt you, they will keep you more alert and less distracted, and they are more cost effective. Of course those are not the only reasons flip phones are better. Hence, individuals everywhere should acknowledge the fact that smartphones are dangerous. There has even been studies run that showed smartphones are an addiction. Addictions often take over your life. They end up hurting you and those around you. Flip phones are definitely much better than your typical smartphone.