Why Phones Should Be Allowed During Lunch Period | Teen Ink

Why Phones Should Be Allowed During Lunch Period

By dgoldstein2004 BRONZE, Pine Brook, New Jersey
dgoldstein2004 BRONZE, Pine Brook, New Jersey

A Journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.

A typical school day; kids are learning hard, taking tests, and doing loads of work. Kids are working so hard during the school day, and they would really enjoy a little break during lunch. I understand that you think it is wrong to carry phones during class, but why must you not allow kids to use their phones during lunch? I’m not asking for much, just 1 period per day where there is no academic work to be done. Therefore I think phones should be allowed during lunchtime.                       

The first reason that I think phones should be used during lunch is that it is a major stress reliever. If you are working nonstop for 3 or 4 hours while worrying about a loved one or something else at home, during lunch you can check in with your family about events that may be causing stress. This will eliminate anxiety and allow students to begin the second half of their day on a fresh note. This will also help kids focus more on their work.                                                    

The second reason I think phones should be allowed during lunch is that it can be used for communication. As I mentioned in my previous paragraph, if kids are thinking about an emergency, they will not just be behaviorally off, but not focused on academic work. If students could communicate with others, (parents, other relatives, etc.) it would help them focus on their work during the second half of the day. Also, students can check their social media, talk to friends, and arrange times when they can meet after school, which is a benefit for both kids and parents.

The final reason I think phones should be used during lunch is that kids can get a head start on their homework and projects. Using their phones during lunch they could use online encyclopedias (Wikipedia, etc.), access the Library of Congress, and use Google to help them with Homework.

I have touched upon a several reasons of why phones are beneficial in schools and I hope you can use this to learn more about the benefits of phones and the good ways they can be used.

Hi, My name is Daniel Goldstein and I am 15 years old. I am currently a freshman at Shepard Preparatory High School in Morristown, NJ. I live in Pine Brook, NJ, and I was born in New York City.